Re: [art_education] Tragedy in NY

  • tpersis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
      This was the hardest week I have ever had to teach.
      Although we found out through word of mouth at our school, immediately after
      it happened, and things continued to happen, we
      had nothing but a radio as communication with outside world...
      and we had to go on teaching without telling the students.
      This was particularly difficult because I have many friends
      and family members who lived and worked in that area.

      I work in westchester and many of the student's parents worked
      in the vicinity of the tragedy.
      The day after i had the students paint how they were feeling- no violent
      images were allowed. Some great discussions took place.
      I am now trying to think of a bulletin board that would remember this great
      tragedy
      without upsetting the students...something hopeful, or something that would
      give tribute to all of those involved. I know this is a hard time for
      everyone, but any ideas are welcome.
    • Ken Rohrer
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
        Claire-Lise,
        Thanks for your thoughts. We appreciate them.
        Ken
        -------
        --- claire-lise veronese <clveronese@...>
        wrote:
        > _
        > Here in Switzerland, we had 3 minutes of silence
        > everywhere .
        > We are thinking of you all Americans.
        > Claire-Lise Veronese

      • ANDREW & JULIEPHEASANT
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
          Re: [art_education] Tragedy in NY 16/9/01 11:54 PM

          Dear Ken,
          We were asked to turn off our tv's, as well.  (Middle school and elementary)
          It was on in my room before that.  I have a student whos Mother worked on the 39th floor (she survived), but when the building colapsed, we did not know that.  Everyone was very supoportive of this young person.  I did not know it that day, but her aunt worked there, too.  Her aunt is unaccounted for.  It has been hard.
          We had a moment of silece on Friday.
          In addition, I got shrink art and pin backs and we made patriotic pins to wear and give. Some made the traditional folded ribbon, some did red, white and blue abstracts, some drew the American Eagle..one did the two towers in front of a cover (minus words) of the Grateful Dead.....(I asked others not to copy that one...but I did shrink it..he was not being disrespectful...it was his way of coping.
          I went to school Saturday and made sure that the room was extra orderly, since the children have so much disorder from the attack.
          Sincerely,
          Becky T

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry online group you know? thanks

          WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
          EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

          Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?

          If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
          please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of - what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
          let me know and I will reply in due course.

          cheers julie fearns pheasant
          Australia
        • ANDREW & JULIEPHEASANT
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
            16/9/01 7:33 AM

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
              16/9/01 10:11 AM

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
                17/9/01 1:04 PM

                > 16/9/01 7:33 AM
                >
                >> _
                >> Here in Switzerland, we had 3 minutes of silence everywhere .
                >> We are thinking of you all Americans.
                >> Claire-Lise Veronese

                > please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry
                > online group you know? thanks
                >

                > WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
                > EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
                >
                > Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition
                > where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of
                > all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?
                >
                > If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
                > please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it
                > from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my
                > husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing
                > this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of -
                > what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
                > let me know and I will reply in due course.
                >
                > cheers julie fearns pheasant
                > Australia

                please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry
                online group you know? thanks

                WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
                EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

                Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition
                where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of
                all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?

                If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
                please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it
                from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my
                husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing
                this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of -
                what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
                let me know and I will reply in due course. no money is involved.

                cheers julie fearns pheasant
                Australia
              • Judi Vokes
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
                  Our school of 1500 collected over $2000 Wed. just at lunch for NYC. Our
                  clubs are donating funds that were for operations, also.

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

[...]

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
                    Our students here are making American flags and they
                    write a poem about the tragedy on each stripe. They
                    are hanging flag mobiles in the hallways as well...
                    ----------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
                      i like the idea of the poem
                      incorporated with the flag--
                      thank you

                      at this time i usually do a cityscape project with my fifth graders..
                      I think i still will, and now there be so many new meanings created
                      by what these children have experienced.
                    • Ken Rohrer
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                        Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                        courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                      • kc
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                          > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                          > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                          ----

                          ----

                          ----
                        • kc
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                            Dear Ken, Hi, I'm a teacher from a small school from Maine. Thank you for
                            sending the children's pictures. Children hit the core on how our school
                            feels. Kim

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                              > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                              > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                              ----

                              ----

                              ----
                            • Sue Freeland
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 19, 2001
                                Need your help!!cause you guys are the best! Can we put our heads together
                                and come up with one or more projects created by our art classes that would
                                make a difference and inspire people in our own towns?
                                I love the idea of an international protest and my students are currently
                                making posters for the Lion's Club Peace poster contest (incredible timing!)
                                Theme this year "Lighting the pathway to peace."
                                What I would like to do is some kind of permanent sculpture or mural or
                                whatever so that people will not forget those who died but also to
                                strengthen the ties that have brought us together even if it is in grief.
                                Strangers no longer walk by without acknowledgement. They look you in the
                                eye and the sentiment is there, a nod, a smile a sort of recognition of
                                another soul going through the same pain.
                                Sorry...it's getting late. But really, does anyone have a suggestion for
                                some kind of memorial like this...something that would be around a while?
                                Thanks,
                                Sue
                              • DeAnn Hanisch
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 2, 2001
                                  I'm not sure if this is along the lines you are
                                  thinking, but have you looked at the quilt Faith
                                  Ringgold created for the Oklahoma City Bombing? Her
                                  work is so powerful! You may get some inspiration!

                                  http://phone.yahoo.com
                                • Smileatsusan@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 3, 2001
                                    I'd love to see that site. We have an exhibit of Faith's coming to our
                                    community this Winter!
                                    -Susan
                                  • Ken Rohrer
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 15, 2001
                                      Hi all,
                                      Teri Mason, who is helping me with the art site, sent
                                      me this message a few days ago. She says she posted it
                                      to this group but I don't remember reading it.

                                      William Saunders Mason, IV "Liam"
                                      born 10/08/01 9:33 am
                                      6lbs, 13 oz
                                      via emergency c-section, after 30 hrs of natural labor

                                      I'm sure this will keep her busy and we won't be able
                                      to update the art site much.
                                      Ken

                                      http://personals.yahoo.com