Why the Donkey and Elephant?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2004
      Greetings Art Educators,

      I made the comment at the dinner table that I want a new symbol for the
      Republican Party. I don't want them to have "my elephant".... So of course
      hubby asked when those symbols came about. I had seen the cartoons in my
      surfing a while back - but couldn't remember the details...

      Here is the answer:
      http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/4-18-00askeds.html
      (Info please has pop-ups/pop-unders)

      Here is the answer from C-Span:
      http://www.c-span.org/questions/week174.htm
      Thiseven has the orignal cartoon from 1874

      Just thought I would throw this out there for those of you doing political
      cartoons this year.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Department (IAD)
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/