LAYERED MULTI SHAPE CANVAS SCULPTURE

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2004
      Steve Draeger

      http://www.draegerunusualart.com/Wall_Sculptures/wall_sculptures.html

      All three-dimensional wall sculptures are precisely constructed of different
      varieties of wood, canvas, and painted with acrylic paints. Sometimes I will
      incorporate a bit of metal. The backgrounds (whatever the shape) are
      stretched canvas over wood. The mounted pieces can range from stretched
      canvas, white birch, tempered masonite, mdf or metal. I love laying the
      acrylics on thick, sometimes with a palette knife for extra dimension and
      texture. Airbrushing is occasionally utilized. Other pieces are sprayed with
      a mixture of transparent paint and acrylic urethane so the rich grain of the
      white birch is visible through the intense colors. I really love to create
      depth and movement along with tricking the eye a bit.

      http://www.draegerunusualart.com/About_the_Artist/about_the_artist.html

      I am an emerging, self-taught artist from the Midwest. As a kid growing up
      in Milwaukee Wisconsin, I loved the surrealists (Magritte, Dali etc.) and
      did hyper-realistic work with a bizarre twist. Over the years I have come to
      love the expression and spontaneity of abstract art. About 14 years ago I
      started to experiment with three-dimensional techniques and found it added
      an extra push of life into my art. Along with my obvious lust for color, I
      want my art to be exciting! I want the viewer to find a new aspect and the
      piece to look just a little bit different every time it is studied. Also,
      viewers may see a sense of humor in some of the work. Furniture, paintings,
      murals or sculptures, I love it all! I love color, I live to create.