Linda Freeman - Story Quilts with Text

  • Judith Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2004
      Greetings Art Educators,

      I know most of you USA teachers are familiar with the
      work of Faith Ringgold now (links on my African
      American Artist page).... but you may not be familiar
      with the work of Linda Freeman. Christine Besack
      posted an exhibit at Southern Miss (going on now
      through Oct 2). Linda's name was familiar to me...but
      wasn't sure why. She is the producer of many of the
      African American (and other artist) films we have
      enjoyed.

      Here is some of Linda's work:
      http://www.landsvideo.com/lfreeman_01.htm

      and here is a "taste" of the exhibit (pdf file
      catalog):
      http://www.landsvideo.com/guestbook_01.htm

      Art in Context page for Linda Freeman is no longer
      there- I did find that she is also a co-author of many
      books.

      Still browsing....These two PBS videos look good:
      http://www.pbs.org/americaquilts/index.html
      A Century of Quilts and American Quilts - anyone seen
      them?

      I will be adding these links to the paper quilt lesson
      plan....and adding a twist to my water color torn
      paper landscape lesson. I am wondering now if you can
      use studio paper to transfer text onto the watercolor
      papers? Of coures you would have to reverse the type.
      I'll have to play with the idea.

      This is the exhibit Christine posted:
      http://www.usm.edu/arts/seasons/museum04_05.php

      Christine is workig on Monoprint lessons with her
      students...and she is tying in paper
      quilts/quiltmaking with that lesson. I love it when
      Chirstine surfs for ideas...she always finds some good
      ones!

      =====
      Judy Decker
      jdecker4art@...