Re: [art_education] Batik advice needed &worry dolls

  • Wayong@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2003
      There is a community center up in Harlem that does batik silk painting with kids. They make silk scarves to sell. She might try to contact them (forgot the name of the place, but if she called up HAI or Marquis Studio, someone at these places may have a better idea)

      Also, I've see fabric markers, but don't know how much bleed through it would have on silks.

      I've heard of people also using salt as a resister. I imagine that if one was to do it on silk that a resister shouldn't as harsh as wax (maybe paper tape, salts or some type of crayon?)

      Some of my clients in the past made simple worry dolls out of pipe cleaners, string/yarn & scraps of fabric. If you wanted a bigger head, I imagine you could use a wooden bead & use fabric markers or jelly pens if the wood isn't sealed.

      Wayong