art clubs

  • wmvh
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 19, 2004
      anyone have ideas on activities for 8th grade art clubs? ways to raise money?

      William Van Horn
      http://inmystudio.net

      Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
    • Kelli Denne
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 19, 2004
        William,
        I have never tried this but I would like to.  Make ceramic windchimes.  You can create themed chimes and glaze them and the work on them like mobiles.  They can gain a lot of hands on practice in many areas of art and make some money.

        Kelli

        Do you Yahoo!?
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 19, 2004
          Greetings William,

          This is a popular ArtsEdNet Talk topic.

          Try browsing the archives for these months:
          http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Sep00/index.html
          Go to M.S. Art Club

          January 2002
          http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Jan02/index.html
          scroll to art club

          December 2001 - scroll to art club:
          http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Dec01/index.html

          I know there were more threads - I just can't get them to come up.
          Also try artsednet fundraiser -- and more will come up (I found good ideas
          for many years - just by adding the year to the search too).

          How about making some shrink plastic fine art pins?

          Painted Chair/furniture auctions is a good idea for a fund raiser.

          William - I have some Getty posts saved for fundraisers....but don't have
          time to read them right now. Can you receive emails as attachments? I will
          forward them to you.....

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 2, 2004
            I'm a high school art teacher but these ideas would apply to middle school as well. We did quite well with creating notecards of orginal student artworks. We did this through a company called "Mountain Color". But it would be easy and more cost effective to print your own as well if you have the software. Students (and parents) enjoyed seeing the artwork in a 'usable' form.
            We also made clay clocks (see SchoolArts Magazine from last spring...I don't remember which issue! But I wrote an article on the clay clocks that appears .... I think it was March). People loved the clocks. We have a Jazz festival here in the spring, so some of the kids made clocks that were music related and they did really well.
            We also have collected old furniture and re-furbished (mostly through painting) it.
            Hope this is helpful!
            Lynn Pass

          • go4art@juno.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 2, 2004
              My art club (6-8th grades) does individual and group projects that we haven't done in class, as well as school and community projects. Latest is painting 4' wood coyotes (our mascot)in the style of artists to line the hallway to the gym. Many times they work on art for contests that they are interested in entering. Every year we have Arts in Action and have a "chair"ity auction (6th grade clay, 7th papier mache, 8th functional). We've also used "original Works" to put work on mugs, magnets, mouse pads, etc. as a fund-raiser for Music and Arts Partners (our community booster organization). Lots of other stuff, but hope this helps!!

              Linda Kieling
              Rosemont Ridge Middle School
              http://www.rrms.wlwv.k12.or.us/KielingL/Artindex.htm
            • michelle yates
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 6, 2007
                I don't charge more than $5.00 because I lot of
                students' parents cannot afford it. I ususally spend
                most of that money on the homecoming float. Football
                is huge in this town. (So far the only interest in
                the art club is at the middle school level - by the
                time they get to high school most kids are not
                interested or have such busy schedules they are
                uninterested in adding to it. I am hoping that will
                change when my middle schoolers get to high school!
                Also we are right on the cusp of being a Title I
                school - we have like 34% free and reduced lunch but
                not the 38% need for Title I funds so there is
                definately a issue with money with many parents). We
                do use a lot of the school supplies for the posters
                and a lot of recycled materials for the banquet table
                decorations. (One year we did a band banquet and took
                recycled coke bottles and painted them and then the
                band bought 40 sunflowers and the kids then filled the
                bottles and put the sunflowers in for the table
                decorations. I had inherited huge boxes filled with
                green, orange and black ribbon that we use the
                scissors trick and make them curly and put on tables.
                We made big banners and hung them all around the
                cafeteria. It turned out pretty cool.) Another event
                that we did with the band was that they were having a
                Tators for Tunes event and we made little potato
                people playing different instruments on toothpicks.
                That was quite successful as well. I was thinking
                that for red ribbon week this year - that it might be
                fun for the club to do a big puppet show about
                resisting the temptation to do drugs. It would be
                something different that could generate some interest
                that would keep them motivated. I generally come up
                with ideas and let the club vote on weather or not
                they want to do them....only because I have about 30
                minutes and trying to get them to make a decision
                (like with any group) can be difficult and I can also
                control what I want to participate in and how much
                time I want to put into the club with my schedule for
                the week or for the month.

                Michelle Yates
                Charleston, AR
                K-12

                http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
              • david grant
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 3, 2009
                  I teach middle school art (6th,7th, & 8th grades). I want to start an afterschool art club. I have discussed the idea with the principal and he wants to see my plan for this endeavor. This is where all who visit this site can assist. I need all your ideas and experiences concerning an art club, no matter how small or large. I know that there have been some previous postings on this site in regard to art clubs but I thought it might be nice to get a larger group participation with this exchange of art club ideas. I need to put my plan together during the summer break so that I will be well prepared when I meet with the "boss".

                  Thanks
                  David in Georgia

                • Susan Michael
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 3, 2009
                    Hello David,
                    Since you are planning in advance put a proposal together for getting a donation from your local Wal-Mart. Ask for specific number of items and list the product names.  Check to find out how much you can qualify for and submit your entry at the first of the month as they are checked on a first come first serve basis. Surprisingly, I found that a grocery store was willing to donate items also. The key being a specific list of what was needed and a letterhead in hand.
                    Also, check out the variety of free for the asking supply of shipping packaging from retail stores. The big advantage is you can get a large volume to accommodate class size. - my favorite is the cardboard tubes that pillar candles are shipped in. ( Corrugated cardboard, small boxes, foam wrapping, etc.)
                    Best Wishes, Susan
                  • david grant
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 3, 2009
                      Thanks Susan, these are all great ideas...if you think of any more, don't hesitate.
                      Thanks again,
                      David

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 4, 2009

                        Hi ….

                        I have been asked to start an art club for children who are cancer survivors.  The organization (Hopekids.org) sponsors free events for cancer survivors and many  of the kids (elem. And HS ages) would like a monthly art club.

                        If we were to offer watercolor lessons what are some effective but inexpensive ways to offer them?  Watercolor paper is so expensive.  Any suggestions?

                        Thanks

                        Carolyn

                        "Each of us has a fire in our hearts for something.  It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."

                        Mary Lou Retton

                      • Suzette Milam-Morrow
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 4, 2009

                          I great cause Carolyn. I commend your efforts.

                          Scrap mat board (free) works great for w.c. lessons and the kids like that it feels sturdy and is hangable with tape and string.

                          If you can find a newspaper machine that has a cardstock ad that slides in the front of the machine you can call them and get the ones they take out. It also works well for painting.

                          w.c. pencils are very popular with the kids. You will really light them up with those if you can get a few sets, they share.

                          Best wishes to you!

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 5, 2009
                            I see that I asked a question about art club activities back in 2004. I started with doing other projects that I didn't do in class, such as silkscreening student designs on t-shirts and other student projects. In the last 2 years I've been collaborating with the band teacher on performances we present at our annual fine arts event. The art club does backdrop, costumes and props. The 1st year was more about the music, this year more about the art. This takes up most of the year to complete. My students are very proud when they see the results of their labor and creativity. The extended project, I think, shows them the positive results of perseverance. By the end of the project only the truly dedicated are left. (We meet once per week for an hour.)

                            The Art Club is also the only ones who get to go on a field trip. (I can't imagine taking a hundred or so students (my classes) to a museum.)

                            Good luck. William

                            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, david grant <dagrant41@...> wrote:

                            > I teach middle school art (6th,7th, & 8th grades). I want to start an afterschool art club. I have discussed the idea with the principal and he wants to see my plan for this endeavor. This is where all who visit this site can assist. I need all your ideas and experiences concerning an art club, no matter how small or large. I know that there have been some previous postings on this site in regard to art clubs but I thought it might be nice to get a larger group participation with this exchange of art club ideas. I need to put my plan together during the summer break so that I will be well prepared when I meet with the "boss".
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > David in Georgia

                          • maryjo rosania
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 5, 2009
                              William,
                              what grades do you teach?
                              MaryJo

                              --
                              MaryJo Rosania

                            • Carolyn Mitchell
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 5, 2009

                                Thank you, Suzette….any more ideas?

                                "Each of us has a fire in our hearts for something.  It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."

                                Mary Lou Retton

                              • Becky Hopkins
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 5, 2009
                                  Sorry, I deleted the other posts to this, so I am responding through a response.
                                  Anyway...
                                  I have had an art club for most of my career: from elementary through high school.  I love it.  I usually do more sophisticated projects with the kids as well as offered field trips..
                                  I have handled it in a variety of ways: open to anyone with an "A" in class, by invitation only, as a sign-up with a recommendation from one additional teacher (I don't do this anymore because I tend you really love the
                                  kids that many other teachers consider "problematic"! lol), and also by project.  So, for example, with the "by project" art club I invite my more serious-minded artists to participate (by written invitation) in a special
                                  after-school project that tends to run between 8-16 sessions, depending on the complexity of the project.  Most recently I had the kids create packing tape casts of whole bodies.  They loved it.  And the "invitation only"
                                  idea did a lot to "inspire" others to up the ante a bit and try to score an invitation to something special (and I have high school students! Imagine how this could work with the elementary set!).  I saw a real increase in positive
                                  behaviors from all of my students when I did this method of selection.
                                  Good luck!
                                  Becky

                                  art_education@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                  >William,
                                  >what grades do you teach?
                                  >MaryJo
                                  >

                                  >On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM, wmvanhorn <[ mailto:inmystudio@... ]inmystudio@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  >I see that I asked a question about art club activities back in 2004. I started with doing other projects that I didn't do in class, such as silkscreening student designs on t-shirts and other student projects. In the last 2 years I've been collaborating with the band teacher on performances we present at our annual fine arts event. The art club does backdrop, costumes and props. The 1st year was more about the music, this year more about the art. This takes up most of the year to complete. My
                                  >students are very proud when they see the results of their labor and creativity. The extended project, I think, shows them the positive results of perseverance. By the end of the project only the truly dedicated are left. (We meet once per week for an hour.)
                                  >
                                  >The Art Club is also the only ones who get to go on a field trip. (I can't imagine taking a hundred or so students (my classes) to a museum.)
                                  >
                                  >Good luck. William
                                  >
                                  >--- In [ mailto:art_education@yahoogroups.com ]art_education@yahoogroups.com, david grant <dagrant41@..> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> I teach middle school art (6th,7th, & 8th grades). I want to start an afterschool art club. I have discussed the idea with the principal and he wants to see my plan for this endeavor. This is where all who visit this site can assist. I need all your ideas and experiences concerning an art club, no matter how small or large. I know that there have been some previous postings on this site in regard to art clubs but I thought it might be nice to get a larger group participation with this
                                  >exchange of art club ideas. I need to put my plan together during the summer break so that I will be well prepared when I meet with the "boss".
                                  >>
                                  >> Thanks
                                  >> David in Georgia
                                  >>

                                  >--
                                  >MaryJo Rosania

                                  Becky Hopkins
                                  Art Teacher
                                  Marion Junior High School

                                • Suzette Milam-Morrow
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 5, 2009

                                    I do have another thought before I run off.

                                    COFFEE FILTERS!

                                    They are cheap in bulk and make everyone oh and ah when they see the colors they touch to them take off. I’m sure if you make a Subject line asking what people use them for you will get 100 answers.

                                    Some ways: Mandalas

                                    Butterflies (scrunch up and clip)

                                    Radial designs

                                    Molas

                                    Flowers

                                    Sandwiched in clear contact paper for window designs

                                    Sewn together in a  chain of prayer flags

                                    The other idea is the art fashion show. You bring a bag o silly stuff and dump it out. The kids partner up and create an outfit out of the stuff. It mirrors many of the reality shows on fashion on bravo and the kids totally dig it. Get a techno beat song ready to play for the fashion runway walk at the end. Save 10 minutes to do a speed version. The kids wanted to do it again , but the rules of keeping stuff fun is to stop right at the peak of funness. Lol!

                                    Thank you, Suzette….any more ideas?

                                    "Each of us has a fire in our hearts for something.  It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."

                                    Mary Lou Retton

                                  • Kelli Wilke
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 19, 2009
                                      I hope this isn't too late on this subject but here is a link to my website:  manila.esu6.org
                                      (there is no www at the beginning)
                                        You can click on Art Club and see what we've done these past few years.  I'd like to try tape sculptures and screen printing our own t-shirts again.  We have our club through our after school program.  The program is set up so kids can go from one activity to another any time they choose but I wanted mine to be more exclusive so students had to "join" art club.  We meet once a week from 3:30-5:15 or so.  I expect regular attendance and notice if they are going to miss a meeting.  The only money we have to spend is the money we raise ourselves, however, our board did agree to pay for a few expenses upfront for nonconsumable materials such as mosaic and screenprinting equipment.  I do focus more on big projects.  Each year is kind of different.  Sometimes projects land in our laps and other times I come up with things.  For the first few years I had mostly girls with one or two boys, this past year I had 2 girls and 11 boys so I had to really rethink my projects.  This year we went to our local college and spent some time with the ceramics professor and they got some practice throwing pots on a potters wheel.  They loved it!  Hope this helps you out!

                                      Kelli in NE

                                      I teach middle school art (6th,7th, & 8th grades). I want to start an afterschool art club. I have discussed the idea with the principal and he wants to see my plan for this endeavor. This is where all who visit this site can assist. I need all your ideas and experiences concerning an art club, no matter how small or large. I know that there have been some previous postings on this site in regard to art clubs but I thought it might be nice to get a larger group participation with this exchange of art club ideas. I need to put my plan together during the summer break so that I will be well prepared when I meet with the "boss".

                                      Thanks
                                      David in Georgia

                                    • Ken
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 19, 2009
                                        The website you gave us has a page that says "Create a Manila Site." There is no material there.

                                        Ken

                                        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...> wrote:

                                        > I hope this isn't too late on this subject but here is a link to my website: manila.esu6.org
                                        > (there is no www at the beginning)
                                        > You can click on Art Club and see what we've done these past few years. I'd like to try tape sculptures and screen printing our own t-shirts again. We have our club through our after school program. The program is set up so kids can go from one activity to another any time they choose but I wanted mine to be more exclusive so students had to "join" art club. We meet once a week from 3:30-5:15 or so. I expect regular attendance and notice if they are going to miss a meeting. The only money we have to spend is the money we raise ourselves, however, our board did agree to pay for a few expenses upfront for nonconsumable materials such as mosaic and screenprinting equipment. I do focus more on big projects. Each year is kind of different. Sometimes projects land in our laps and other times I come up with things. For the first few years I had mostly girls with one or two boys, this past year I had 2 girls and 11 boys so I had to really
                                        > rethink my projects. This year we went to our local college and spent some time with the ceramics professor and they got some practice throwing pots on a potters wheel. They loved it! Hope this helps you out!
                                        >
                                        > Kelli in NE

                                      • Kelli Wilke
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 21, 2009
                                          I'm sorry......    manila.esu6.org/kelliw

                                          The website you gave us has a page that says "Create a Manila Site." There is no material there.

                                          Ken

                                          --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@.. .> wrote:

                                          > I hope this isn't too late on this subject but here is a link to my website: manila.esu6. org
                                          > (there is no www at the beginning)
                                          > You can click on Art Club and see what we've done these past few years. I'd like to try tape sculptures and screen printing our own t-shirts again. We have our club through our after school program. The program is set up so kids can go from one activity to another any time they choose but I wanted mine to be more exclusive so students had to "join" art club. We meet once a week from 3:30-5:15 or so. I expect regular attendance and notice if they are going to miss a meeting. The only money we have to spend is the money we raise ourselves, however, our board did agree to pay for a few expenses upfront for nonconsumable materials such as mosaic and screenprinting equipment. I do focus more on big projects. Each year is kind of different. Sometimes projects land in our laps and other times I come up with things. For the first few years I had mostly girls with one or two boys, this past year I had 2 girls and 11 boys so I had to really
                                          > rethink my projects. This year we went to our local college and spent some time with the ceramics professor and they got some practice throwing pots on a potters wheel. They loved it! Hope this helps you out!
                                          >
                                          > Kelli in NE

                                        • christinereg
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 23, 2009
                                            Kelli, your art class website is fantastic! Thank you for sharing it with us, it is so inspiring to me. I am starting my first year teaching this fall, and I am clueless on how to start because I don't have a background in education, so this was a great example of what I can do with my classes.

                                            On that note, since this is my first year and I don't really know what I am doing, what are some of the things you art teacher veterans would recommend I do this summer to prepare for the fall? I am teaching 700+ children at an elementary school and I do not really know how to begin! What can I do and how can I prepare now before things get too crazy? Are there any books or other resources available that you would recommend to a new teacher/art educator? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to you all for your wonderful advice and ideas in this group.

                                            Christine

                                            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...> wrote:

                                            > I hope this isn't too late on this subject but here is a link to my website:  manila.esu6.org
                                            > (there is no www at the beginning)
                                            >   You can click on Art Club and see what we've done these past few years.  I'd like to try tape sculptures and screen printing our own t-shirts again.  We have our club through our after school program.  The program is set up so kids can go from one activity to another any time they choose but I wanted mine to be more exclusive so students had to "join" art club.  We meet once a week from 3:30-5:15 or so.  I expect regular attendance and notice if they are going to miss a meeting.  The only money we have to spend is the money we raise ourselves, however, our board did agree to pay for a few expenses upfront for nonconsumable materials such as mosaic and screenprinting equipment.  I do focus more on big projects.  Each year is kind of different.  Sometimes projects land in our laps and other times I come up with things.  For the first few years I had mostly girls with one or two boys, this past year I had 2 girls and 11 boys so I had to really
                                            > rethink my projects.  This year we went to our local college and spent some time with the ceramics professor and they got some practice throwing pots on a potters wheel.  They loved it!  Hope this helps you out!
                                            >
                                            > Kelli in NE

                                          • Becky Hopkins
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 23, 2009
                                              I have a few really fun start-up activities that introduce team work, art history (kind of a stretch, but you can really build from it) and whichever elements/principles you elect to incorporate. First off I do a
                                              puzzle. I draw a large contour line drawing of a famous work (such as an Andy Warhol, the Mona Lisa... something the kids will recognize as having seen it before) on either a large piece of butcher paper
                                              or, as I prefer now, a large sheet of watercolor paper (I like it better because it can really withstand the abuse of being handled over and over again by many small hands, and many different media can be
                                              used with great success on watercolor paper... and it is a nice uniform size. Bonus!) I go over my contour line drawing in thick black permanent marker and then,using the class size to determine it, I make the piece into a "puzzle" with a piece for each student (and 3 extra... just in case). I also make certain that I number the back of each piece so that it is easier to put together later on. I then instruct students on line, shape, and color, and how different shapes (geo vs. organic) can look. With the little ones I
                                              make little cut out shapes of random shapes and hold them up and ask, "organic or geometric?" I also go over rhythm (regular repetition vs. random rep.),and use clapping, snapping,patting, drumming to give a audial component
                                              for kids who are better with this sort of example. Then we talk about colors and basic color schemes (usually I introduce warm vs. cool, and the triad schems for this). Then the kids use their piece, black lines forming "fences" to hold patterns, and
                                              fill up their puzzle piece with various patterns in color schemes (NO BLACK... it confuses reading the line). After all of the pieces are done we work together to put it together (usually the second or third class,
                                              depending on how intense you elect to make the project). After that I make sure it is taped really well, then I hang them up. Even at the junior high (9th grade) level I have teachers lining up to adopt a puzzle for their room.
                                              One even hangs in one of my former administrators office! And with the art work being famous, you can introduce some art history into it., I used Mona Lisa, and from there I taught the kids to imitate her pose
                                              on command when I needed their attention PRONTO. It worked really well with the k-3 set! Other teachers even adopted the practice in their room, and each room had their very own example, created by their kids!).

                                              I have a ton more, but I have a three=year-old who needs my attention.
                                              Good luck. Feel free to ask for more ideas. I also have photos of a few examples of the puzzles that I could share.

                                              art_education@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                              >Kelli, your art class website is fantastic! Thank you for sharing it with us, it is so inspiring to me. I am starting my first year teaching this fall, and I am clueless on how to start because I don't have a background in education, so this was a great example of what I can do with my classes.
                                              >
                                              >On that note, since this is my first year and I don't really know what I am doing, what are some of the things you art teacher veterans would recommend I do this summer to prepare for the fall? I am teaching 700+ children at an elementary school and I do not really know how to begin! What can I do and how can I prepare now before things get too crazy? Are there any books or other resources available that you would recommend to a new teacher/art educator? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
                                              >Thanks to you all for your wonderful advice and ideas in this group.
                                              >
                                              >Christine
                                              >
                                              >--- In [ mailto:art_education@yahoogroups.com ]art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@..> wrote:
                                              >>
                                              >> I hope this isn't too late on this subject but here is a link to my website:  manila.esu6.org
                                              >> (there is no www at the beginning)
                                              >>   You can click on Art Club and see what we've done these past few years.  I'd like to try tape sculptures and screen printing our own t-shirts again.  We have our club through our after school program.  The program is set up so kids can go from one activity to another any time they choose but I wanted mine to be more exclusive so students had to "join" art club.  We meet once a week from 3:30-5:15 or so.  I expect regular attendance and notice if they are going to miss a
                                              >meeting.  The only money we have to spend is the money we raise ourselves, however, our board did agree to pay for a few expenses upfront for nonconsumable materials such as mosaic and screenprinting equipment.  I do focus more on big projects.  Each year is kind of different.  Sometimes projects land in our laps and other times I come up with things.  For the first few years I had mostly girls with one or two boys, this past year I had 2 girls and 11 boys so I had to really
                                              >> rethink my projects.  This year we went to our local college and spent some time with the ceramics professor and they got some practice throwing pots on a potters wheel.  They loved it!  Hope this helps you out!
                                              >>
                                              >> Kelli in NE

                                              Becky Hopkins
                                              Art Teacher
                                              Marion Junior High School