How to create BUYERS of Art (from Marvin Bartel)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2004
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Here is an excellent post from Marvin Bartel - retired professor and artist.

      From Marvin:

      I think all people collect things that they value. For many, this may
      simply be photos and mass produced stuff that they like. For some it
      has to have a family connection or at least a friend connection. My
      mother valued gifts as sacred objects if the giver was important to
      her. As a result, she saved and proudly displayed some really trashy
      kitsch. Everybody creates a surrounding that reflects personal
      values. What better place than art class to study the aesthetics of
      this phenomenon.

      What if we would ask students if any of them would be willing to
      share a work of original art from their homes with the rest of the
      class for a day, a week, or whatever? For others to see art
      collecting as a real option might open some eyes. This could make for
      interesting discussions in the classroom as well as family
      discussions for both the collectors and the non-collectors. Not
      many people can afford to purchase big names, but even students can
      and do purchase artwork from college art students.

      I think it would be good to have students generate a list of
      questions that would help them learn about teh art motivations of
      collectors. The collectors could respond to the questions in writing
      or in person. It could be quite enlightening to learn about the
      differences between Thomas Kincade collectors and those who collect
      art that is more sophisticated and less accessible.

      Marvin Bartel

      Many of you are familiar with Marvin's Art Education web site:
      http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/MB_Home.htm
      Marvin's Art Home Page:
      http://www.bartelart.com/

      Judy Decker - Ohio