Re: Kathleen - are you K-8? allow time to do art

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hi Kathleen

      I decided to answer this to the list.....How long did it take you to make a sample? Multiply that times three for a ball park time...remember to allow review time/demo time and clean-up time.

      Allow time...Kids need think time, too (don't you do all of the thinking for them -How long did it take you to think up the project idea?)
      For elementary - most of my projects took three to four class periods - meetiing once a day - that translates to four weeks. Sculpture took longer (five weeks).

      One day for art history - demo and exploration of media
      One day for student drawing- planning - beginning media approaches
      Two days for finishing -- have filler activities for those who get done eary.

      DO NOT rush the art projects - your middle school and high school teachers will thank you. I got tired of hearing teachers whine on the list last year that kids wanted to just rush through their project without putting any thought -effort into them...and why was that? (grin) Probably some elementary teacher along the way made them hurry and get them done in 40 minutes.

      My middle school units (once I started seeing the kids every day) took anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks - depending on the unit. We spent several days on research and planning for each project. We had a video day at the beginning of each unit to introduce the unit... one day to review the video worksheets and view PowerPoint (and/or prints) emphasizing the art I wanted them to consider and begin thinking - A day for them to plan/make sketches - a day for Internet for further exploration - then however long it took for them to finish.  I had ways to extend the project for those who got done early....and had filler projects for them to do. I allowed time - and got quality art as a result. Quality -and the process - was more important than quantity for me.

      I wanted kids to think. Thinking takes time.... I didn't want to provide all of the answers - that's too easy.