Keith Haring - Aboriginal Art Inspired Portraits Lesson

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Since we have had numerous new people join the lists - I am reposting a
      lesson plan for Keith Haring line Portraits.
      I will leave it up to you to find examples of Aborigianl Art and
      pre-Columbian art to connect.

      Haring and Aboriginal art:
      http://66.113.241.131/lessons/envs/live/htdocs/lesson107.htm
      I wish they showed some full size images of the completed work of the
      students.

      He was inspired by Aboriginal art as well as Pre-Columbian:
      http://www.haring.com/art/allover/essay.html

      Really fun Haring line portrait (see the Pre-Columbian influence):
      http://www.haring.com/art/allover/12page.html
      Kids could do a painting very abstract then over lay it with a line drawing
      on acetate or transparency.

      Another great face painting:
      http://www.haring.com/art/allover/13page.html

      Personally, I would not use the lesson as it. I would want to teach the
      students
      some of the meaning behind the marks made by the Aboriginal people. This
      might be a nice extension lesson after you have studied the cultures (You
      might be able to get by showing a video about the Aborigines of Australia).
      There is an excellent video you can use to introduce Keith Haring to your
      students. The video is "Drawing the Line". It is on page 19 in your Sax
      Visual Resource catalog and sells for only $19.95. It is one you can use
      every year in some way or other. I have done many different Keith Haring
      inspired projects. Only one trimester a year and one grade level got Keith
      Haring...but it was my hope that those students could influence others. I
      have my reasons for doing Keith Haring. We used the Internet to learn more
      about Haring. We started on the Haring for Kids site.....but did venture
      into the adult site, too. I told them certain areas I wanted them to go and
      told them areas to avoid. I didn't hide that some of Haring's work may
      offend and really is not for their viewing. I only recall one student
      finding an objectionable work....and all he said was "Oh, I see what you
      mean" (nothing ever became of it).

      I looked at all of the examples shown on the site and the one I thought best
      showed his
      Aboriginal influences really can not be shown to kids. There are others on
      the page you can use that will work.

      I have a links page for Keith Haring:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/haring.htm

      I have added a link to this lesson on my Australia resources page and on
      Haring page. If anyone does this lesson - I would love to have one example
      for Incredible Art Department.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Department (IAD)
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/