Re: [art_education] Alternative Art Textbooks

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      Greetings Nicole,

      Congrats on the new job! (and my prayers go out to the person who accepted
      your old job - it was a tough one).
      I have been VERY pleased with every book I bought from Davis Publications.
      If you don't have a catalog of their offerings - they will send you one. You
      should even be able to get sample books to review.
      http://www.davis-art.com/
      http://www.davis-art.com/textbooks/index.asp
      This new one for clay looks good:
      http://www.davis-art.com/catalog/index.asp?product_id=265
      My former school had a classroom set of Discovering Art History for high
      school. The former middle school teacher had a classroom set of The Visual
      Experience (which she took with her to the high school when moved to that
      level)

      I do like A World of Images and Art Images and Ideas for middle school (I
      had one classroom set of each).

      I bought several individual books from Davis for referernce materials. Call
      for a catalog: 1 (800) 533-2847.
      The printmaking one was very good.... I don't recall the title though....I
      had others too (I just don't have easy access to them now - they are in
      boxes in the attic).

      If you are interested in reviewing the Sculpture book I posted from Philippe
      Faraut - I will add you to the list - I don't know how long it will be till
      you get it.
      http://www.pcfstudios.com/videos.html I wouldn't recommend an entire
      classroom set - but one book for reference would be nice.

      One that I really like for Monoprint is:
      Book: Monotype: Mediums and Methods for Painterly Printmaking by Julia Ayres
      Some of the art supply catalogs carrry (as that is how I bought mine). It is
      easy to find online.

      Judy Decker