Alternative Art Textbooks

  • spraypainthuffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hello,

      I just concluded the Texas Art Education Textbook adoption process. One thing to come
      out of the committie was the need for the possible purchase of alternative books for the
      classroom. I have been asked to find books that could be used in the classroom INSTEAD
      of the prescribed books by the publishers (state will pay 70% up to x amount) . I decided
      to reach out and see what some of your contemporary solid refrence books (that could be
      used as a textbook). We are looking for Design, Ceramics, Art history, Drawing, Painting,
      Sculpture, Contemporary Drawing Issues, and Graphic Design. If you reply to this email
      please include
      ISBN Author Publisher Title and Cost (if you know it) Also a few sentances about it.
      The book must be current (say within the last 5 years) and easily bought.
      I just thought I would open up this process up and see what replies I get.
      Nicole
      (The one who was so unhappy in Dallas---Well I got a new job)
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        Greetings Nicole,

        Congrats on the new job! (and my prayers go out to the person who accepted
        your old job - it was a tough one).
        I have been VERY pleased with every book I bought from Davis Publications.
        If you don't have a catalog of their offerings - they will send you one. You
        should even be able to get sample books to review.
        http://www.davis-art.com/
        http://www.davis-art.com/textbooks/index.asp
        This new one for clay looks good:
        http://www.davis-art.com/catalog/index.asp?product_id=265
        My former school had a classroom set of Discovering Art History for high
        school. The former middle school teacher had a classroom set of The Visual
        Experience (which she took with her to the high school when moved to that
        level)

        I do like A World of Images and Art Images and Ideas for middle school (I
        had one classroom set of each).

        I bought several individual books from Davis for referernce materials. Call
        for a catalog: 1 (800) 533-2847.
        The printmaking one was very good.... I don't recall the title though....I
        had others too (I just don't have easy access to them now - they are in
        boxes in the attic).

        If you are interested in reviewing the Sculpture book I posted from Philippe
        Faraut - I will add you to the list - I don't know how long it will be till
        you get it.
        http://www.pcfstudios.com/videos.html I wouldn't recommend an entire
        classroom set - but one book for reference would be nice.

        One that I really like for Monoprint is:
        Book: Monotype: Mediums and Methods for Painterly Printmaking by Julia Ayres
        Some of the art supply catalogs carrry (as that is how I bought mine). It is
        easy to find online.

        Judy Decker