Contemporary Folk Artist with a message - Caricatures too (USA)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Deb M. posted a fun artist yesterday to Getty list. I am really sorry I
      missed seeing his work at Ann Arbor Art Fair. I know I would have stopped by
      to talk to him. See the work of Steve Shepard (warning political):
      http://www.steveshepardart.com/
      Work inspired by Edward Hicks. Bold colorful compositions with text borders.
      Powerful messages. Steve's work is black ink and Prismacolor on paper
      darkened with alizarin crimson watercolor - with text borders inspired by
      the Peaceable Kingdom (and others) by Hicks. His work may inspire a lesson
      using pastels, Prismacolors, oil pastels or construction paper crayons on
      black (or dark paper) paper. Steve is fine artist from Mississippi - his
      work just has a "folk" appeal - his statements are political in nature.

      Also see his caricature portraits with text in the background (warning -
      political)
      http://search.ebay.com/steve-shepard_W0QQfromZR8QQsocolumnlayoutZ4QQsocomparecolumnlayoutZ1
      or http://tinyurl.com/3k9hv
      I am still hoping to get a caricature lesson for Incredible Art Department
      (Andy DiConti - pretty please)

      Here is one "poster" that you can use to inspire kids about one of the real
      issues they are worried about:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20158&item=3738975314&rd=1&tc=photo
      or http://tinyurl.com/6rywe

      This is good too... Bush has already said he doesn't read:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3738976485&category=20149&sspagename=rvi:1:3

      or http://tinyurl.com/58wv4

      Steve is linked on my Art with Text page, American Folk Art, Haitian Art
      Lesson (Hicks' Peaceable Kingdom was used for that lesson).

      Steve gives his blessing to use his images to inspire kids. I did email
      him....and asked when a portrait about education was coming out (grin). I am
      not posting his work to offend anyone. If anyone finds good caricatures of
      Kerry (pro- or con) - do post them. I asked Steve if he had any.

      Thanks for posting him Deb - I enjoyed "talking" with him.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Department (IAD)
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
      Incredible Art Resources