"Giacometti" Figures - and Fun Fish Sculpture - contemporary artist to share

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2004
      Greetings Art Educators,

      The first two times I did plaster addition figures with middle school kids,
      we use Giacometti (along with Segal) ... Our action/dance figures were not
      as "meaty" as the ones shown on my site. We did movement. There were dance
      figures and sport figures created - skate boarders too of course.

      Here is a contemporary artist who has done some wonderful stylized figures
      in bronze - perfect for this lesson
      Karen Williams Smith:
      http://www.karenwilliamssmith.com
      Go to Bronze in her gallery http://www.karenwilliamssmith.com/gallery3.htm -
      There are three figures. Art Educators do have permission to use her images.
      If you don't know how to save them - I will do it for you - just let me
      know. I will be adding her to the lesson plan soon.

      Here is a link to a Giacometti site:
      http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2001/giacometti/start/goflash.html
      More:
      http://www.artchive.com/artchive/G/giacometti.html (note- Mark Harden's site
      now has Pop-under ads - don't know how long those have been there. There is
      software that will block those, too).
      http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/giacometti_alberto.html

      I still have it on my to do list to make a whimsical fish sculpture (mine
      will be garden art)....A visual pun. Fish names are so much fun! Karen has a
      wonderful soft sculpture fish:
      http://www.karenwilliamssmith.com/4ladyfish.htm
      Karen gave me permission to put her lady fish on the lesson plan when I
      write it....Don't wait for me though - Do you own whimsical fish sculpture
      (grin)....and please DO share your lesson with all of us.

      Bill Hickman had some neat fish at Ann Arbor (welded steel) - but none on
      his site.

      Fish were actually a very popular theme in all art media. Two ceramic
      artists had their entire booths filled with fish. One was into depicting
      fish very realistically (naming them by type of fish - and pretty pricey) -
      the other was much more stylized (all with draped slab method - her booth
      was very popular - very affordable works).

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Department (IAD)
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
      Incredible Art Resources