Re: [art_education] Connecting with parents

  • Victoria Patterson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2004
      I have over 500 students in grades K-5. Over the years (29 of em) I have gotten to know most of the families of returning students, so the one's I concentrate most on are kindergarten and new families to our school. The one thing I have done without fail each year is send home a letter with every student at the beginning of the year. In it, I introduce myself, our program and it's mission, as well give a little synopsis of what happens at each grade level. (I keep these letters for each grade level on CD's or Zip, and just edit each year as necessary).  Along with the letter is a list of "recyclables" parents and kids can contribute , like leather, buttons, plastic containers, egg cartons (great throw-away paint pallets) paper , feathers, tubes, and cardboard.  I also ask parents who would like to help out either in class or by hanging student work in the halls, to contact me personally. It's amazing how many are willing to visit my room on a weekly basis to deliver goodies or help in the classroom. Asking parents to contribute, via the letter, gets them to make the effort to get to know you, and get involved.
      shebaduhkitty@... wrote:
      Connecting with parents

      A new teacher in one of my LJ teaching groups brought up this
      question,

      "do any of you have any good suggestions of how to address the
      parents directly in order to help with good parental involvement?"

      In the past I have always tried to call home early in the year JUST
      to introduce myself and welcome them. But this year teaching art I
      will have 30+ (?)kids x 6 classes x 3 trimesters. No WAY I am going
      to be able to make that many phone calls. SO I would love suggestions
      of other people in my situation too! How do you touch bases with
      parents?

      Sheba~Cynthia
      http://thevirtualclassroom.org/
      http://www.sheba-kitty-productions.com/

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • shebaduhkitty@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 2004
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Victoria Patterson
        <westshoredesigns@y...> wrote:
        The one thing I have done without fail each year is send home a
        letter with every student at the beginning of the year.

        Yes I do that too... But with middle school kids the parents aren't
        as into helping. I have TRIED! (mostly the Tweener kids don't want
        the parents to help) But the letter is not as personal as the phone
        call and doesn't make that first awkward call about grades or
        discpline too easy. I am really good with personal emails, but again
        because my school is high poverty, I anticipate fewer parents with
        computer access. I think I may just try and look for the few that
        seem like they MAY be potential phone calls in the future and target
        those ones for my welcome call.

        But still open to ideas!

        Sheba~Cynthia
        http://thevirtualclassroom.org/
        http://www.sheba-kitty-productions.com/
      • kelly parker
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2004
          hi,
          i am new the to group but what about having an art show/openhouse with work
          from the previous year/semester?

          kelly

          > A new teacher in one of my LJ teaching groups brought up this
          > question,
          >
          > "do any of you have any good suggestions of how to address the
          > parents directly in order to help with good parental involvement?"
          >
          > In the past I have always tried to call home early in the year JUST
          > to introduce myself and welcome them. But this year teaching art I
          > will have 30+ (?)kids x 6 classes x 3 trimesters. No WAY I am going
          > to be able to make that many phone calls. SO I would love suggestions
          > of other people in my situation too! How do you touch bases with
          > parents?
          >
          > Sheba~Cynthia
          > http://thevirtualclassroom.org/
          > http://www.sheba-kitty-productions.com/