Re: [art_education] Tragedy in NY

  • claire-lise veronese
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
      _
      Here in Switzerland, we had 3 minutes of silence everywhere .
      We are thinking of you all Americans.
      Claire-Lise Veronese

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
        Thank you very much.  We appreciate your concern and any help that you can give us!
        It is very nice to hear of your compassion for our people.  I am from central Arkansas, but even here...there is no telling the extent to which the terrorists will go and in how many directions of terror they mean to inflict.
        Once again, thank you for your concern.

        Sincerly,
        ARTSWIM
      • ARTSWIM@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
          Dear Ken,
          We were asked to turn off our tv's, as well.  (Middle school and elementary)
          It was on in my room before that.  I have a student whos Mother worked on the 39th floor (she survived), but when the building colapsed, we did not know that.  Everyone was very supoportive of this young person.  I did not know it that day, but her aunt worked there, too.  Her aunt is unaccounted for.  It has been hard.
          We had a moment of silece on Friday.
          In addition, I got shrink art and pin backs and we made patriotic pins to wear and give. Some made the traditional folded ribbon, some did red, white and blue abstracts, some drew the American Eagle..one did the two towers in front of a cover (minus words) of the Grateful Dead.....(I asked others not to copy that one...but I did shrink it..he was not being disrespectful...it was his way of coping.
          I went to school Saturday and made sure that the room was extra orderly, since the children have so much disorder from the attack.
          Sincerely,
          Becky T
        • Michael Gerrish
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001

            I teach in a small, private school in central NJ. Once we had a general idea of what happened(the Internet was jammed, our cable TV line was out and our building's design makes radio reception difficult) we had a school-wide meeting at 11:15. The principal assured students that we were all in a safe place and that counselors and teachers were available to talk. A letter went home with each student that day restating the same. On Wednesday each class met separately wiith our team of counselors to discuss the events and emotions which followed. Calmness and professionalism helped everyone cope.
            Although many of our school community have friends, family and neighbors who work in NYC,  just one of them is among the 5000 missing. Thoughts jumble together....from the thankfulness in having family and friends safe to imagining the emptyness that must overwhelm the families of the victims in NYC, Washington, DC, and on the aircraft that crashed.
            The attack has brought out much that is good among us: determination, pride, cooperation and altruism...donations of blood and emergency supplies are flooding in and volunteers from local rescue squads and fire departments are now in NYC helping out. But, it has also seen the rise of hatred and bigotry. Central NJ is home to a vast diversity of ethnic and religious groups, some of whom have become targets for the anger and anxiety expressed by others. There are folks who have begun to shun anyone who "looks" middle eastern or Islamic. Letters to the editor have talked about avenging the innocent victims here by practicing genocide oversees as a way to protect the rest of us. These behaviors and letters are a chilling reminder of how prejudice and hatred are covered under a shallow veneer of civilized behavior.
            In the days ahead, as we wait for our government's response, it would be wise to reflect upon how hatred for others who are different brought these tragic events to our cities...and pray for the peace of God, which passes all human understanding, to touch our hearts and the hearts of those everywhere...including the innocent abroad who fear an angry, indescriminate military retaliation.
            Michael Gerrish

            WHYART.com
            Transforming Education Through Art
            http://whyart.com
            mrg@...

          • tpersis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
              This was the hardest week I have ever had to teach.
              Although we found out through word of mouth at our school, immediately after
              it happened, and things continued to happen, we
              had nothing but a radio as communication with outside world...
              and we had to go on teaching without telling the students.
              This was particularly difficult because I have many friends
              and family members who lived and worked in that area.

              I work in westchester and many of the student's parents worked
              in the vicinity of the tragedy.
              The day after i had the students paint how they were feeling- no violent
              images were allowed. Some great discussions took place.
              I am now trying to think of a bulletin board that would remember this great
              tragedy
              without upsetting the students...something hopeful, or something that would
              give tribute to all of those involved. I know this is a hard time for
              everyone, but any ideas are welcome.
            • Ken Rohrer
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
                Claire-Lise,
                Thanks for your thoughts. We appreciate them.
                Ken
                -------
                --- claire-lise veronese <clveronese@...>
                wrote:
                > _
                > Here in Switzerland, we had 3 minutes of silence
                > everywhere .
                > We are thinking of you all Americans.
                > Claire-Lise Veronese

              • ANDREW & JULIEPHEASANT
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
                  Re: [art_education] Tragedy in NY 16/9/01 11:54 PM

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry online group you know? thanks

                  WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
                  EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

                  Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?

                  If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
                  please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of - what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
                  let me know and I will reply in due course.

                  cheers julie fearns pheasant
                  Australia
                • ANDREW & JULIEPHEASANT
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
                    16/9/01 7:33 AM

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 16, 2001
                      16/9/01 10:11 AM

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
                        17/9/01 1:04 PM

                        > 16/9/01 7:33 AM
                        >
                        >> _
                        >> Here in Switzerland, we had 3 minutes of silence everywhere .
                        >> We are thinking of you all Americans.
                        >> Claire-Lise Veronese

                        > please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry
                        > online group you know? thanks
                        >

                        > WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
                        > EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
                        >
                        > Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition
                        > where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of
                        > all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?
                        >
                        > If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
                        > please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it
                        > from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my
                        > husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing
                        > this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of -
                        > what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
                        > let me know and I will reply in due course.
                        >
                        > cheers julie fearns pheasant
                        > Australia

                        please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry
                        online group you know? thanks

                        WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
                        EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

                        Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition
                        where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of
                        all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?

                        If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
                        please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it
                        from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my
                        husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing
                        this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of -
                        what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
                        let me know and I will reply in due course. no money is involved.

                        cheers julie fearns pheasant
                        Australia
                      • Judi Vokes
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
                          Our school of 1500 collected over $2000 Wed. just at lunch for NYC. Our
                          clubs are donating funds that were for operations, also.

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

[...]

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
                            Our students here are making American flags and they
                            write a poem about the tragedy on each stripe. They
                            are hanging flag mobiles in the hallways as well...
                            ----------------------------------

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 17, 2001
                              i like the idea of the poem
                              incorporated with the flag--
                              thank you

                              at this time i usually do a cityscape project with my fifth graders..
                              I think i still will, and now there be so many new meanings created
                              by what these children have experienced.
                            • Ken Rohrer
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                                Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                                courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                              • kc
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                                  > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                                  > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                                  ----

                                  ----

                                  ----
                                • kc
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                                    Dear Ken, Hi, I'm a teacher from a small school from Maine. Thank you for
                                    sending the children's pictures. Children hit the core on how our school
                                    feels. Kim

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 18, 2001
                                      > Following are some children's pictures of the tragedy
                                      > courtesy of http://www.kiddonet.com/

                                      ----

                                      ----

                                      ----
                                    • Sue Freeland
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 19, 2001
                                        Need your help!!cause you guys are the best! Can we put our heads together
                                        and come up with one or more projects created by our art classes that would
                                        make a difference and inspire people in our own towns?
                                        I love the idea of an international protest and my students are currently
                                        making posters for the Lion's Club Peace poster contest (incredible timing!)
                                        Theme this year "Lighting the pathway to peace."
                                        What I would like to do is some kind of permanent sculpture or mural or
                                        whatever so that people will not forget those who died but also to
                                        strengthen the ties that have brought us together even if it is in grief.
                                        Strangers no longer walk by without acknowledgement. They look you in the
                                        eye and the sentiment is there, a nod, a smile a sort of recognition of
                                        another soul going through the same pain.
                                        Sorry...it's getting late. But really, does anyone have a suggestion for
                                        some kind of memorial like this...something that would be around a while?
                                        Thanks,
                                        Sue
                                      • DeAnn Hanisch
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 2, 2001
                                          I'm not sure if this is along the lines you are
                                          thinking, but have you looked at the quilt Faith
                                          Ringgold created for the Oklahoma City Bombing? Her
                                          work is so powerful! You may get some inspiration!

                                          http://phone.yahoo.com
                                        • Smileatsusan@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 3, 2001
                                            I'd love to see that site. We have an exhibit of Faith's coming to our
                                            community this Winter!
                                            -Susan
                                          • Ken Rohrer
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 15, 2001
                                              Hi all,
                                              Teri Mason, who is helping me with the art site, sent
                                              me this message a few days ago. She says she posted it
                                              to this group but I don't remember reading it.

                                              William Saunders Mason, IV "Liam"
                                              born 10/08/01 9:33 am
                                              6lbs, 13 oz
                                              via emergency c-section, after 30 hrs of natural labor

                                              I'm sure this will keep her busy and we won't be able
                                              to update the art site much.
                                              Ken

                                              http://personals.yahoo.com