Medieval Art - Lesson ideas and Links

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2004
      Greetings,

      Sorry to post to the entire list again -- but I did not see my original post
      come through or appear on the list web site... I have corrected many of my
      typos too (grin). If the first one appears - then pardon the duplication.

      To Don (?) Hoffman:
      How many lessons are you looking for each grade?

      I would get the most mileage I can out of my visual resources...
      Have your Dragons PowerPoint work for more than one grade -
      same with castles. Do armor with more than one grade.

      One grade could make these helmets
      http://www.clevelandart.org/educatn/kidsprojects/armor.html - and decorate
      with puffy paints and paint markers.... I made twelve for a school play out
      of poster board (tweaked the pattern to fit an adult head and added my own
      design to it. I added a piece in the back to cover the neck - you could add
      a piece to cover the nose too- look up various helmet designs from middle
      ages)

      There are also many things you can do with stained glass windows.... Even
      get brave and do some small leaded glass sun catchers (experiment yourself
      first) with older students. ArtSpace Lima has done leaded glass with student
      as young as third grade in their classes. Maybe set it up as a separate
      station where you supervise closely while the rest of the class works on a
      different project that doesn't need close supervision. Kids could put the
      foil around the edges without your help - but I imagine you don't want to go
      out and buy a bunch of soldering irons.

      Here are lessons from Delphi:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Delphi.htm
      See stained glass mosaic and sun catcher.

      Another idea would be stained glass garden tiles - let me know if that
      interests you and I will put Dana's lesson plan back online. It was shared
      quite some time ago (Word file). Maybe get some parent volunteers to help
      with this one? Or do it as a parent/student workshop in evening?

      Some ideas for windows:

      Black paper cut window - make bold outlines - some what wide outlines so
      they are each to cut - could be in shape of Gothic window - or round
      window.... Cut out openings - glue tissue paper on back side in openings.

      Black Glue outline on acetate (or whatever clear material you have -- even
      laminating end pieces). Color with permanent markers when dry. These look
      nice displayed with foil behind them.

      Tapestry weaving:

      Weaving lesson is on IAD, too. Keep the tapestry weaving to simple
      "cartoons"
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/middle8.html
      Weaving handout:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/weave.htm
      For tapestry weaving - I would raise the warp up at either end by inserting
      some dowel rods under warp threads.

      Lots op possibilities for drawing projects around the Medieval tapestries -
      What stories did they tell? Look at symbolism in the tapestries. Kids can
      create their own tapestry design that tells a story.

      I have links on these pages:

      Art of Middle Ages/Medieval Art
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/ageof.htm
      Middle Ages Internet Lesson
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/middle.htm
      Heraldry Links page
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/herald.htm
      Manuscript Symbolism links page
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/middle2.htm

      If you use any of these pages - let me know what links are broken - I
      haven't checked them in quite some time -as I have no need for them now.

      Send great sites you find in surfing to me/the list and I will add them. I
      have not looked for sites for Middle Ages in years. I am sure there are many
      new ones now. Probably some great interactive sites too.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources
    • Kelli Denne
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2004
        I would love to see lessons on stained glass windows, although I do not have the budget to work with real stained glass.  I teach middle school and was looking for alternatives to using actual stained glass.

        Kelli

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Christa Maria
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2004
          Kelli,
          Whatever you do on 'ersatz' stained glass, it usually looks tacky..:)
          I've done stepping stones with kids that used glass.
          A stained glass store was generous enough to give me a good amount of
          small scrap pieces.
          Used ready mix cement in small pizza boxes, the I had lined with saran wrap.
          The kids arranged the glass chards into a picture.
          C-M
        • Barbara
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2004
            Hi!  I recently did a stained glass project with my students.  I just had them sandwich tissue paper or cellophane between two pieces of clear contact paper.  Colored Sharpie markers also can be used.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2004
              Wow! Thank you all for your great ideas. So far I have a list of :

              Stainglass windows - lots of lesson plans for those. I particularily like
              the idea of using real glass.
              Tile - The Byzantine influence
              Tapestry
              Needlework, (perhaps rug hooking)
              Shields (designing and foil relief),
              Helmets, armor and fashion design.
              Castles - building them out of cardboard and toliet paper, and/or ceramics
              "Beasties" - lots of different ways to go with this.
              Gargoyles - masks, ceramics or mugs,
              Illuminated letters-drawing or prints,
              Calligraphy
              Puppets - paper mache
              Self portriats - as king and gueens.
              Caricatures - playing cards (also symmetry)
              Painted Panels - Christmas project

              Please, keep those ideas coming!

              Thanks to all,
              Don Hoffmann
            • donhoffmann
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 9, 2004
                Wow! Thank you all for your great ideas. So far I have a list of :

                Stainglass windows - lots of lesson plans for those. I particularly like
                the idea of using real glass.
                Tile - The Byzantine influence
                Tapestry
                Needlework, (perhaps rug hooking)
                Shields (designing and foil relief),
                Helmets, armor and fashion design.
                Castles - building them out of cardboard and toilet paper, and/or ceramics
                "Beasties" - lots of different ways to go with this.
                Gargoyles - masks, ceramics or mugs,
                Illuminated letters-drawing or prints,
                Calligraphy
                Puppets - paper mache