Keith Haring Lesson - Lettering- Names -Symbolism

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      Jennifer Auble has shared a lesson with me she uses with 8th graders.

      From Jennifer:

      This is a good introductory lesson for my 8th graders. You could file it
      under design, lettering, or the artist Keith Haring and Symbolism. I like
      to start the trimester with this project because it helps me to learn their
      names, learn about them while they brainstorm symbols/designs about
      themselves, and it also shows me what level they are at in their drawing and
      knowledge of art supplies. For those who struggle with symbolism, they can
      do straight lettering and design an original tag made up only of creative
      lettering. They enjoy learning about Keith Haring and the graffiti
      discussion is always lively. We also hit on plagiarism and the importance
      of originality in the final design. The principles are learned easily
      because they have to incorporate them in the design and then tell me how
      they emphasized the principles. The self evaluation is like a wrap up quiz
      at the end of the project.

      Principles of Design Tag Lesson - 8th art
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/jen-tag.htm
      Student self devaluation:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/jen-eval.htm
      Rubric:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/jen-rubric.htm
      (Note - her tables didn't translate right into html - you may have to set up
      a table yourself - but you can see what she had in mind).

      Thanks Jennifer! I will get this on the site offically soon...but wanted to
      share it as soon as possible with all. The formatting will all change when I
      put it into Front Page.

      This is what the "File for Sharing" is all about....Files are shared for all
      art ed list members. Once I get all the work done, they are linked for "the
      world". Files are not needed are removed from the site (but I keep them to
      share again).

      If you don't save the links or files - the pages will come up on the IAD
      home page search (they will not come up if you search from my site).

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources