Re: Post your Character Education Lesson Ideas

  • K A
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004

      My previous school had a specific lifeskill (character trait) that was highlighted schoolwide each week.  In order to get the kids into it, I cut out 4" diameter construction paper circles.  Then I printed out labels of one lifeskill per circle.  I came up with an animal that I thought exemplified that particular lifeskill, and I glued a picture and the name of the animal along with the name of the lifeskill onto the circle.  On the back of the circle, I glued a definition of the lifeskill.  Then I laminated the circles.  When presenting them to students, I turned them upside down, and each student randomly selected one.  They taped them onto their desks and journaled about how they could work on that character trait.  They kept them up for one grading period, then for the next grading period, they designed their own lifeskill/animal circles.

      It would be easy to modify this activity for the art classroom, so the teacher isn't doing all of the work.:)  Students could do their own animal drawing, or locate a famous artists' work to tie in art history.  The important thing is to keep the project displayed somewhere in order to refer back to it with behavioral goals.  (Examples of animals were the dog for loyalty or honesty and the bee or ant for cooperation)

      ~  Kathleen Arola

      Message: 1
         Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:14:52 -0400
         From: "Judy Decker" <JDecker@...>
      Subject: Post your Character Education Lesson Ideas

      Greetings Art Educators,

      A Getty list members has just posted one of my "passion" topics.

      > What are some art history lessons you have taught that focus on
      > effectively integrating the character education traits such as
      caring,
      > courtesy, tolerance, truthfulness, kindness, respect, work ethic,
      etc.?

      "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

      - Pablo Picasso

      Do you Yahoo!?