Masks/Paper mache heads lesson on IAD

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2003
      Dear Art Educators,

      Mark Alexander sent me some images of Mexican "Tona" masks made by his
      students. I have that lesson now on Incredible Art Department:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/mark-heads.htm

      This lesson is very successful with students in grades 6 thru 8 (I imagine
      you could also do it with younger students). I have done almost the same
      lesson --although Northwest Coast dance helmets -- with sixth graders
      (students select a personal Totem to represent self). I have also done a
      Tona lesson with sixth graders -- having them create face masks using the
      plastic face molds as a base. Online references are included in the lesson.

      This lesson is linked from:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/middlelessons.html

      Masks and performance art by Mark Alexander can be viewed at:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/ArtTeachers/markalex.ht

      Enjoy!

      Judy Decker

      P.S. Folks, don't think you have to do your plans this thoroughly to send
      them to Incredible Art Department... I do the research to add to the lesson.
      I can also spruce your plans up by adding the objectives (if you don't have
      the time)....Just send me a little bit about how you did it and I will put
      it into the form/template I use. If you have done a lesson that you are
      very proud about - send me the iamges and together we can write the plan.

      P.P.S for Mark -- You can see that I added my "2 cents worth" as I edited
      your plan....hope you don't mind.