Look into ARTaFacts Magazine

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Many of you use Scholastic Arts/Art and Man (what ever it is called now)...
      An alternative magazine would be ARTaFacts Magazine. Much more affordable
      for a class set.
      http://www.artafactsmagazine.com/

      I ordered a copy just to see what it was like - and you can, too. You can
      specify elementary or secondary. Middle school teachers will probably want
      to see a copy of each (as I did). Then, select a class set of which ever you
      feel is best for your students' reading level. The secondary copy does have
      smaller font. The lessons included in the elementary copy are not really
      "original" as I have seen them on line (probably a case of "like minds",
      though - you know how that goes) - but they are helpful - particularly for
      new teachers. Lessons on elementary can go for middle school, too -- and
      secondary ideas can be tweaked for elementary. My copy for elementary is
      about Jacob Lawrence and my secondary copy is Faberge. You also get a list
      of books and a list of Internet resources.

      This magazine is linked on IAD:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/links/artgames.html
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/links/artstore.html

      Get your sample copy this summer - then "sell" it to your administrator when
      you can. Reading is encouraged in all subjects and textbooks are pricey
      these days. Check out topics for previous years - you may still be able to
      get one set for yourself. Jacob Lawrence one features "Study for the Munich
      Olympic Games Poster" (three other images included). Many Getty list members
      use this publication and are quite happy with it. They are good to have for
      substitute plans, too (I will add a link to that lesson page as well).

      Regards,

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources