hello all

  • marcia lavery
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004

      Hello there, Thanks for the warm welcome.  Yes, I'm Marcia, from Illinois, I've been teaching for 2 and a half years at a middle school.  I also took on the role as yearbook advisor this year.  Does anyone here manage their school's yearbook staff?  Wow, that's like having another full time job!    I think I probably already know a lot of you from the getty list, which I have been on for about 4 years (it was a great source of ideas during my college/student teaching years).  I think the reason I have not shared more, is because when I look at Judy's website, I figure that she probably already has lessons similar to the ones I teach on it.  This week I heard some more news that scared me about next year.  In addition to our dean and superintendent leaving/retiring, now our principal has taken another job in another school, so we are having all new administration next year.  Yikes!  Not only that, but our school is under major construction this summer, so all the classrooms are boxed up now.  There are rumors that our school won't be open to teachers until 7 am the day school starts.  There were talks of this the last week of school, so I photocopied and set up everything I needed to have all ready to go in one box.  And luckily, I didn't have to box EVERYTHING up because I'm one of the only ones not changing classrooms next year.  Thank goodness for that kiln or I'd have to move too!  I have some good news to share with you all.  I wrote an article that is going to be published in School Arts magazine!  The letter said that it will be published sometime in the next 2 years!  (the magazine usually has a theme, and all the articles tend to relate to the theme).  My article was about a lesson I teach to 7th graders: a black and white nonobjective line design, focusing on variety (shapes, lines, values).  If you would like to see my school's website, which I have some artwork on, it is:  http://www.skokie69.k12.il.us/Lincoln/   Then, click on staff webpages on the left, and then Miss Lavery-Art.  There are some examples of the murals we have created, as well as other special projects. However, it is nowhere near as extensive as some of the other wonderful art teacher sites I've seen.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • arizkma
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2004
        Thanks, Marcia, for sharing your school's website with your
        students' art gallery. We've just been in the middle of sharing
        name art ideas for the beginning of the school year, and I really
        liked the picture in your gallery where the bubble letters of the
        student's name were designed using different animal print patterns.
        How fun! I think I'll try it. Here's the link for anyone else
        who's interested:

        http://www.skokie69.k12.il.us/Lincoln/

        ~ Kathleen Arola

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, marcia lavery
        <marciadotcom@y...> wrote:

        > Hello there, Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, I'm Marcia, from
        Illinois, I've been teaching for 2 and a half years at a middle
        school.
      • The Maples
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2004
          (1) I could not find the bubble letters that Marcia sent in using that web
          address - I found her art club, but no bubble letters.

          (2)Also, I wanted to thank everyone who helped with my Keith Haring project.
          It was a big success. I made a great powerpoint of him for elementary (K-4)
          kids. I also came up with 2 lessons for the project. I'll try to get some
          pictures with them and send them in.

          (3) And . . . now I need some advice on how to decorate my new K-4 art
          room. I'm really wanting to paint some images around the room and thought
          maybe I could get some great advice from everyone.

          Thanks - Emily

          <marciadotcom@y...> wrote:

          > Hello there, Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, I'm Marcia, from
          Illinois, I've been teaching for 2 and a half years at a middle
          school.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • arizkma
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2004