Art for Riley

  • Ken Rohrer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2001
      List members,
      I received this today. It may interest some of you:

      From: Michelle Thompson
      Director, Department of Student
      Activities

      Have you heard? The Indiana Association of School
      Principals (IASP) has
      issued a challenge! The challenge is to make a
      difference, educationally,
      for every child across the state, and to provide
      programs that are aligned
      with state standards. Who is the target of our
      challenge? Ourselves!

      It is our mission to exceed your expectations toward
      student success.
      Toward that end we are dedicated to providing
      resources in all curricular
      areas, which enhance educational programs in our
      school communities.

      We are very excited to share with you a pilot program,
      Art for Riley, which
      merges two projects very close to our hearts. The Art
      Farm: Growing Arts
      Education in Indiana and Kids Caring and Sharing for
      Riley Hospital are
      programs focused on our mission, making a difference
      for every child. Art
      for Riley will promote the artwork of our children and
      youth across the
      state in grades 1-12, as well as brighten the lives of
      children and families
      who find themselves at Riley.

      Beginning this fall, schools who have responded with
      an interest to be part
      of this project will be asked to send two-dimensional
      artwork to a specified
      location within their school�s state district (there
      are 12 districts).
      Artwork is to be 9� x 13.5� and is not to be mounted
      or framed. Artwork may
      be done in any medium including paint, chalk, pencil,
      charcoal, or colored
      pencil. All artwork must be received at the specified
      district location on
      or before October 12.

      Upon receipt of the artwork, IASP district membership
      presidents will
      assemble a jury to judge the artwork. Six pieces (two
      pieces of artwork
      each from elementary, middle, and high school) will be
      forwarded to our
      office from each district on or before November 12,
      2001, to be showcased
      and narrowed to 18 pieces of artwork for display at
      our annual Fall
      Administrators� Conference. These winning pieces of
      art will be displayed
      in the halls of Riley Hospital for Children.

      Art for Riley will be an annual project aimed at
      recognizing and showcasing
      the talents of our children and youth across the
      state, while also adding a
      ray of sunshine to the children and families at Riley.
      It is our hope you
      will share in our excitement of this awesome
      opportunity to �show off� the
      success of our children.

      If your school is a DSA member and is located in a
      county from a district
      who has acknowledged their interest in being part of
      this year�s pilot Art
      for Riley, and you are interested in submitting
      student artwork, please
      forward your art to the specified location for your
      district (see listing
      information below) by the entry deadline. Questions
      can be directed
      mthompson@...

      Working together to make a difference for all
      children!

      Michelle A. Thompson
      Director, Department of Student Activities

      Art for Riley
      Pilot Program

      District 3: (Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Huntington,
      LaGrange, Noble, Steuben,
      Wabash, Wells, and Whitley Counties)

      Artwork to be mailed to: Andy Melin, Principal
      New Haven High School
      1300 Green Road
      New Haven, IN 46774

      District 8: (Clay, Greene, Hendricks, Owen, Parke,
      Putnam, Sullivan,
      Vermillion, and Vigo Counties)

      Artwork to be mailed to: Sycamore Elementary
      7878 East CR 100 N
      Avon, IN 46123

      District 10: (Dearborn, Decatur, Fayette, Franklin,
      Hancock, Jennings,
      Ripley, Rush, Shelby, and Union Counties)

      Artwork to be mailed to: Batesville High School
      One Bulldog Blvd.
      Batesville, IN 47006

      District 12: (Clark, Crawford, Floyd, Harrison,
      Jefferson, Ohio, Orange,
      Scott, Switzerland, and Washington Counties)

      Artwork to be mailed to: Cathy Ryan
      2725 Crestview Ave, NE
      Lanesville, IN 47136

      All artwork must reach the designated school by
      October 12, 2001. Artwork
      should be clearly labeled on the back with Student
      and School Name, Student
      Grade this year, Art Teacher and Principal. Artwork
      becomes the
      non-exclusive property of IASP for promotional use
      through Riley Hospital.
      Artwork not selected may be picked up (or returned if
      packaging and postage
      provided with entry) after November 15, 2001. Winners
      will be notified by
      December 1, 2001 in writing by IASP.

      ** If your district is interested in being part of Art
      for Riley, contact
      your IASP district member chair or president.

    • ANDREW & JULIEPHEASANT
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2001
        16/9/01 10:08 AM

> [...]
        > Scott, Switzerland, and Washington Counties)
        >
        > Artwork to be mailed to: Cathy Ryan
        > 2725 Crestview Ave, NE
        > Lanesville, IN 47136
        >
        > All artwork must reach the designated school by
        > October 12, 2001. Artwork
        > should be clearly labeled on the back with Student
        > and School Name, Student
        > Grade this year, Art Teacher and Principal. Artwork
        > becomes the
        > non-exclusive property of IASP for promotional use
        > through Riley Hospital.
        > Artwork not selected may be picked up (or returned if
        > packaging and postage
        > provided with entry) after November 15, 2001. Winners
        > will be notified by
        > December 1, 2001 in writing by IASP.
        >
        > ** If your district is interested in being part of Art
        > for Riley, contact
        > your IASP district member chair or president.

        please could you pass this on to any art group or anti terrorist or poetry
        online group you know? thanks

        WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE?????????
        EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

        Please think about an international internet, online art/poetry exhibition
        where we all send in images protesting about the carnage and stupidity of
        all that has to do with terrorism...what do you think?

        If you would like to send an international visual protest by doing the above
        please send me your email messages to fez@... and I will take it
        from there. I can advertise it in Australia as well as on the net (my
        husband can start a web page) and if we get as many artists as we can doing
        this and advertising it to all the art sites and friends they can think of -
        what a wonderful, visually powerful thing it will be...
        let me know and I will reply in due course.

        cheers julie fearns pheasant
        Australia