Expectations for Excellence - Elementary and Middle School

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2004
      Greetings ArtsEducators,

      Here is a basic Rubric that I used. I revised it from one by Marvin Bartel
      (with his permission):
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Bartelrubric.htm
      This way, I did not have to write one detailed rubric out for each lesson
      anymore.
      I used detailed rubrics for lessons I had written one for already.
      Rubrics were given to student before the hands-on work began. Student
      evaluated their own work/progress before I did. 90% of the time, we agreed.
      When we didn't - I conferenced with the student. I only had one student that
      made a mockery of this system, and he was removed from the room until we all
      finished.

      Here is one I revised from Woody that I gave out at the beginning of the
      trimester:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/rubric2.htm
      This really helped my middle school students - and helped them accept
      average grades when the work was indeed just average. They referred to this
      when they graded their work.

      There are more rubric links on this page:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/yearplan.htm
      Someday, I will organize it better.....

      Here is one I used for 8th grade only:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/rubric.htm
      The criteria was the lesson objectives. Again, this saved time as I didn't
      have to write a detailed rubric for each lesson. Students graded themselves
      first (the S column - T was my column). I tried not to pigeon hole the
      objectives - but to make them more "big ideas". I was always happiest with
      lessons the first time I did them with students - probably because I didn't
      have such preconceived expectations? I suppose that is why I did the lessons
      differently each year (when I did repeat them).

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources