Re: [art_education] Info for a prospective art teacher????

  • Ken Rohrer
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
      Ian,
      It depends totally where you're located. If you are the USA each state has different requirements for you to receive your teaching credentials. I would check with your Department of Education to find out the details. Then you look at a school that offers the program. This year is a bad year to get a job in art education. Many states are laying off teachers (except for Nevada, I believe).

      The best way to decide if you want to go into teaching is to substitute teach in a school district near you. That should tell you a thing or two.
      Ken
      --

      On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 00:00:03
      Ian Rogers wrote:

      >Hi all.
      >
      >I belong to the list and have been hanging out, learning all i can from your
      >posts and trying to really decide if i want to go into art teaching.
      >
      >As of now i only have a B.A. (in, of course, visual arts, and also creative
      >writing). I'm burnt out from the corporate america scene and teaching seems
      >a rewarding alternative.
      >
      >I'm looking into getting my MFA in illustration and i know i want to
      >immediately get into a teaching position once i get out of school. I've
      >been tossing around the idea of an MAT program, but it seems a waste of time
      >if i don't mind teaching in a private school. Does anyone have any advice?

      Check out the new EudoraMail at
      http://www.eudoramail.com
    • Smileatsusan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1 6:56 AM
        Ian,

        There is so much more to teaching than knowing and loving art. Although there is nothing that can instruct one to be a natural-born teacher with the ability to make those special connections with children, taking part in an accredited program in teaching is going to be the only way to get the education base needed to become the best teacher you can be.

        I am amazed at how unprepared many teachers are once they are "dumped" into the classroom for the first time. I have an undergraduate and graduate degree in art education, and I'm still learning.

        I know that government has begun many programs that allow professionals to take positions in teaching that would otherwise require years of teacher training, but it would only take away from not only the benifits offered children, but also the teacher. Teaching is a wonderful experience, and every one of us needs to be provided the base to make it the best experience for all.
        Climbing down off my soap box, now!
        ;)
        Yours truly,
                          Susan Lamson

        PhotoImpressions By Susan Lamson
        Photographs With A Painterly Attitude
        Portraits, Landscapes, Storefronts
        Commission Work Available
        Visit My Websites!

        Yours truly,
                   Susan Lamson

        http://www.ebsqart.com/Members.asp?CMD=EBSQMEMBERPAGE&MEMBERID=10

        www.smileatsusan.com

        http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/smileatsusan@.../
      • Wayong@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1 11:32 AM
          But, as Ken said, the situation is complicated & currently there are major layoffs in the education field right now.

          This might be a good time to go to school, but not to find work. Employment comes in waves & it's hard to predict future trends of what's going on.

          I have a BA in art and psychology, but took a lot of practicums in teaching and recreational therapy. I went on to get my graduate degree in Art Therapy. I have considered many times to get a cert. in art ed or special ed.

          But each state is different & the accredidation are not always transferable. Sometimes you have to start from ground zero when you move, and all your experience and education doesn't matter.

          When I lived in NYC, I knew if I wanted to, I could get a job as a teacher & complete 3 or 4 class & I would be licensed.

          When I moved to Colorado, I was told that I would have to start over no matter what - whether I wanted to be an art teacher, special ed teacher or even school counselor. Even though I can work with the same kids after 3 pm at another agency or when these kids need residential treatment, I could not do exactly what I do already with these kids unless I was willing to spend 2-3 years getting another degree.

          I went even as far as to apply to get a special ed cert. and enroll into a doctorate program. Usually when a professional comes from a related field and agrees to go into a program, you can get emergancy licensure in order to start teaching right away. I agree with Susan that it's a good idea to absorb acedamia, philosophy and techniques. I personally do not learn very well in a traditional format in a didatic class (nap time!), but I have taken upon myself to read as much as possible on therapeutic techniques, education techniques & philosophies, alternative school systems, art education and special education, on top of my previous education and working with kids and adults the past 12 yrs.

          However, some programs help you find employment, others don't.
          While I do think some teachers come into the field unprepared & do a disservice to the kids, graduate school is very expensive, especially when you consider someone like me who is still paying off my private graduate studies & is considering going into another $150,000 in debt when I might make $25,000 to $42,000 a year, which isn't anymore than what I could get now with my current degree anyway.

          So anyway, my prospective graduate school said I had to find the work myself. I could not find any work despite my years of experience working as a psychotherapist, art therapist and art educator, my degree, and development of workshops and my business (which is slow going) AND my willingness to enroll in a doctorate program.

          School districts, even more so than mental health agencies, are frought with politics, infighting & 'knowing the right people'. I was considered an 'outsider' where I lived & nothing I could do could change that.

          I have moved to Massachusetts, where the climate & attitude towards the arts & special needs is much, much better & there is an awareness of the need for services. Unfortunately, Gov' Romney, like a majority of the governers across this country are doing major overhauls and slashing budgets like crazy, which directly affects the arts, special ed, education and mental health agencies - places you & I would be employed. It is an extremely tough time, it won't be forever, but who knows how long it will take this country to heal itself. We have still not gone through the grieving process in dealing with 9-11, nor addressed how our economy and society has been affected the past 2 years and how if we are not careful, we could spiral down into depression and another world war. And the politicians still don't understand that the solution is not in eliminating the arts and punishing special needs & middle to lower income families.

          Before enrolling into a school, I would strongly suggest to make sure you want to live in that state for a very long time, otherwise you can end up getting a license & having to start all over again in another state. You may even have to take other classes, because each state has different requirements.
          You also want to situate yourself in a place where you can network & meet people before you have to find a job.
          I would also recommend volunteering or substituting or doing probono work with children to find out if that's what you really want to do. While substituting may be a good way to get in, if you are employed in other jobs, it's not very realistic. You are often told at the last minute when you are expected to work, you might already be working & you can get a phone call at 5:45 am asking you to be in at 7:15 am that same day. At least with volunteering, you can choose the times & plan out your schedule & make it clear you are only doing this on a temperary basis (so you don't get abused). You may be still required to go through the background check & get fingerprinted, because most agencies require that by law.

          I also recommend going to lectures and conferances so you can meet art teachers and other educators, so you meet people in person & get their perspectives on the field. You also can learn about current trends and philosophies that way.

          What I would not recommend, is to move someplace just because they have a job AT THIS TIME - it's important to know the political situation of the state, the general attitude of the community and the awareness of the arts & general funding trends before uprooting yourself. You can end up moving to a place & feel disconnected to your environment & very frustrated about general attitudes towards the arts just because you moved to enter a program or start a job. If you have politicians who have little awareness or consideration to the arts & tend to demonise or ignore the needs of children, that's often indicative of the attitude of the general communities in the state (although not always - people in an uproar about budget cuts is a better sign than passive acceptance).

          Good luck on your search & decision. Again, keep researching & do a lot of reading & experiencing before you put down your hard earned cash & put yourself into debt.

          Wayong
        • kerry marquis
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3 6:00 AM
            Hi Ian,
            Georgia (Atlanta area) is definitely still hiring art teachers. In fact, it is projected that there will be a shortage of all teachers in GA in 5 years. We just can't train 'em fast enough.
            Kerry

            Introduction to Art -- http://webtech.kennesaw.edu/kmarquis
            Ceramics and Pottery -- http://pottery.netfirms.com

            Take a free personality test on my site!!
            http://www.oursites.org/kerrymarquis/

            Ian Rogers wrote:

            >Hi all.
            >
            >I belong to the list and have been hanging out, learning all i can from your
            >posts and trying to really decide if i want to go into art teaching.
            >
            >As of now i only have a B.A. (in, of course, visual arts, and also creative
            >writing). I'm burnt out from the corporate america scene and teaching seems
            >a rewarding alternative.
            >
            >I'm looking into getting my MFA in illustration and i know i want to
            >immediately get into a teaching position once i get out of school. I've
            >been tossing around the idea of an MAT program, but it seems a waste of time
            >if i don't mind teaching in a private school. Does anyone have any advice?

            Check out the new EudoraMail at
            http://www.eudoramail.com

            Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
          • DeAnn Hanisch
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5 6:36 PM
              Ian,

              I am a second year high school art teacher, and
              thought you could use some information from a
              "newby's" point of view. Being an art educator is a
              rewarding, though challenging job. You must be willing
              to be a life-long learner and to be flexible with what
              comes your way in and out of the classroom.

              The best advice I can give you is to take every
              opportunity you can find to work with children in an
              environment related to teaching. PRACTICE, PRACTICE,
              PRACTICE (as my old pitching coach used to say). For
              example, during my undergrad career, I volunteered and
              later worked as a teacher in our local art museum's
              education department. I also spent a summer on the
              east coast as a pottery director for a camp of approx
              500 girls. These opportunities gave me experience in
              developing curriculum with creative lesson plans while
              at the same time developing classroom management
              skills that were realistic. (Beyond creativity and
              skill, CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT AND ROUTINE are a must!)
              After my experience at camp, I definitely knew art
              education was where I NEEDED to be. Furthermore, I
              began my first year of teaching confident and more
              relaxed.

              Also, do your research, as Ken suggested. What are
              your short and long-term goals? Find a pre-service
              program AND environment that will be conducive to
              reaching your goals. My co-worker, Jay, joined TAPP
              last year at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, where I
              was also working on my Masters degree in CADRE II:
              Learning In & Through the Arts. Jay was a computer
              graphics artist and wanted to leave the profession in
              order to teach. TAPP allowed him to earn his teaching
              certificate plus 18 hours towards his masters degree
              in one year. He's an excellent art teacher. ( He has
              also coached girls swimming for several years--again,
              practice working with students!) I was able to earn my
              Masters degree in one year during my first year of
              teaching as a result of CADRE II. One thing that has
              helped both of us is that these two programs, TAPP and
              CADRE II, provided cohort groups which served as a
              "mental" support system and a resource for creative
              problem solving and idea generation. Both these
              programs are intense, yet both were what we required
              in order to reach our short and long-term goals.

              I am intrigued with the idea of an art teacher
              possessing a creative writing background. You may be
              able to get a dual position within both an art and an
              English department. Furthermore, there are many school
              districts like OPS that are interested in art teachers
              who are able to integrate reading, writing, math, and
              science into the art curriculum. You'd have at least
              one mark in your favor!

              Hopefully my words make are somewhat coherant (I've
              been correcting many, many art critiques this evening,
              and my brain is all a fuzz) Good luck!

              Dee

              --- Ian Rogers <ianrogers1@...> wrote:

              > Hi all.
              >
              > I belong to the list and have been hanging out,
              > learning all i can from your
              > posts and trying to really decide if i want to go
              > into art teaching.
              >
              > As of now i only have a B.A. (in, of course, visual
              > arts, and also creative
              > writing). I'm burnt out from the corporate america
              > scene and teaching seems
              > a rewarding alternative.
              >
              > I'm looking into getting my MFA in illustration and
              > i know i want to
              > immediately get into a teaching position once i get
              > out of school. I've
              > been tossing around the idea of an MAT program, but
              > it seems a waste of time
              > if i don't mind teaching in a private school. Does
              > anyone have any advice?

              > Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection
              > with MSN 8.

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Ramos, Myriam
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 6 4:02 AM
                Dee, I congratulate you on your sucess. Your insight will be helpful to
                many. I am going to copy your letter to show one of my students who wants to
                go into art ed.

                Ian, Check the Department of Defense Schools. They usually have two-subject
                openings around the world. Good luck,
                Myriam
              • Ian Rogers
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8 9:09 AM
                  Thanks for the insight.! That sounds excellent especially since i'm
                  attempting to go to Savanah to get my masters and do some student teaching.

                  Ian