Re: [art_education] Visual Journaling Unit Plan - file offer

  • donhoffmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2004
      Judy,

      I would also like this file.

      Thank you,
      Don Hoffmann
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 3:45 PM
      Subject: [art_education] Visual Journaling Unit Plan - file offer

      Dear Art Educators,

      I have Mark Anderson's unit plan for Visual Journaling and will forward to
      all who request (off list please).

      It is a 30 page pdf file - Here is a description:

      Pdf file of the unit that was included with Mark's presentation at the
      Central Scholar's Symposium last month. This summer he will be adapting the
      ideas in this unit for 7th and 8th Grade Art I - and will use this as the
      framework for an entire semester of art production/aesthetic
      thinking/history.

      The abstract of the unit as it currently exists is as follows:

      "Visual Journaling: Creative & Self Expression Through Narrative Art" is a
      visual arts approach that will provide the high school Art II or III teacher
      with a means of encouraging creative thinking processes and fostering
      relevant personal expression through an authentic experience of visual and
      narrative self-exploration. Students introduced to this unit will already
      have experienced and demonstrated proficiency in basic art and design
      principles, collage art techniques, and contour and gesture drawing.
      Students should have a working grasp of the basic narrative forms introduced
      in English I.

      So that the art teacher can best assess class preparedness and
      familiarization with the prerequisite knowledge base, it is recommended that
      this unit be scheduled for a second semester introduction - possibly late
      winter, when a long-term unit of study may be more welcome and appropriate.
      The classroom should be arranged so that students will be in
      collaborative-learning groupings in order to facilitate the sharing of new
      ideas and techniques.

      By directly relating instructional goals to MoStep standards, this long term
      unit of study demonstrates relevance of visual narrative to the personal
      life of the learner, identifies key components of cultural relevance, builds
      proficiency in the use of various media, and makes distinctions between
      visual observations and personal reflections. Learners will express personal
      reflections through a combination of visual and narrative components,
      recognizing and incorporating the storytelling elements found in the work of
      contemporary art and culture. Furthermore, learners will be encouraged to
      identify and understand ways other disciplines are connected to and informed
      by the visual arts.

      The Visual Journaling Unit begins with some core concepts for student
      consideration.

      * Visual and written expression often comes together, creating opportunities
      for visually rich narrative through both cultural and personal reflection.

      * Visual journals transcend purely written or purely visual personal
      reflections by combining narrative and visual elements in a tactile,
      hands-on process - a process which, due to the requisite time involved,
      encourages authentic reflection and expression.

      * An artist's chosen medium for artistic/personal expression is an important
      component in transforming ideas into expressed thought.

      * Books are a personal form of communication. Because the reading of a book
      is a solitary, private, and individual activity, the communion between
      author/artist and reader is "one-to-one."

      * A variety of different forms of visual narrative exist in diverse forms of
      art.

      Learning how to make art and learning how to respond to art are not one and
      the same. A personal response to art might encompass "likes" and "dislikes",
      art history and appreciation, exploration of the purpose and end result of a
      particular artwork or "why" an artist created that work in the first place.

      To that end, the constructs of Visual Journaling are thus a student
      articulation, exploring not only the "how", but also the "why" of art
      making.
      ---------------------------------------

      Please ask me OFF List for this file. I will forward this week only.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources

    • SPienschke@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004
        me too Judy

      • I Arcement
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2004
          Judy, please, I would love to have this file...send it on to me!

          Thanks so much,
          Idus in southern Mississippi (about an hour from New Orleans!)