Linda's Oaxacan animals and Mosaics

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2004
      AOL Email
      Greetings Jane,

      Glad to see you on Art Education list.

      I have some notes from Linda on her Oaxacan animals - I just need to find them again.

      Here is one Getty post from Linda:

      One other thing about those sculptures...I bought a sheet of 3/4 inch
      plywood and had our maintenance dept. cut up the pieces for the backs.
      Next year I am going to buy 1x2 or some molding for the legs and let him
      slice those up too, in various lengths, for legs and necks. It's
      cheaper and if you buy the precut long length sets, you will spend
      forever trying to match them all up to sizes before your kids get to
      them. I will cut legs into 2", 3", 5", 7", 10" and 12" lengths, bundled
      up in groups of 4, totaling about 76 sets for my 60 kids. I will
      subdivide those sets into three groups with a full range of sizes...one
      for each class. Go heavier on the 5-10 inch sets than on the 2,3,and 12
      inch sets. Some kids may have to make due with what is left, but you
      will get a lot of variety, and they will be forced to think about how to
      make it work. Also, buy lots of sax little pieces, turned ends, and if
      they have any round pieces, try to buy some of those. It's hard to know
      what to buy, just get more than you think you need.

      Linda Woods

      And another:

      Jancy, We used Sax Ultra Plus tempera on those Oaxacan Wooden Animals.
      The colors of that paint are incredibly brilliant and the texture is
      like acrylic. One coat covered anything! I am now a poster child for
      Sax Ultra Plus Tempera! (Wonder if I could get paid for that?) The
      animals are various sizes, depending on how long the legs are, how long
      a neck, what size back they choose. Size did not seem to make that much
      difference. For example, one girl made a WONDERFUL little winged mouse
      (Julia). It was the smallest one, but she took such time with her
      patterns that she finished about when everyone else did. Hers is one of
      my favorites. You could keep it small and have kids make bugs, etc. I
      had wooden boards in 12 inch by 8 inch, 6x6 squares, 8x10, and a bunch
      of random sizes. I ordered just about every scrap box available (wood)
      from Sax. On some of the scrap boxes I ordered three of each. The legs
      were 2", 3", 5" 7", 9" and 12" lengths. I had them bundled in groups of
      four before the kids got to them. I also had a mitre saw and some kids
      angled their leg ends to make giraffe like creatures.

      Linda Woods

      Back to Judy:

      When I did this with kids at local art resource center - I went to every mill and lumber shop in town and filled boxes with their scraps. I cut down some shapes -and left others as is. I cut strips of wood for legs (taped four strips together) cutting four legs at a time. The tape held them together in sets. Kids weren't locked into those sets - I let them miss-match if needed. I got freebie laytex paint for our base coats (then we accented with good acrylics). I was working on zero budget for my class - so all materials had to be donated. I supplied a lot of the materials myself.

      I have a lesson plan for paper mosaics on my site:

      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6mosaic.htm

      Hope this helps.