End of year FUN photo project (or Computer Graphics)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      I thought I would share an idea that you could do for an end of year photo
      assignment - or graphics arts (Vivian Komando did a similar project with her
      students - Joseph Cornell shadow boxes). It would use photos the student
      have already taken over the course of the semester/year.....Or you could
      make it a new assignment for local Architecture in the community - 3D Photo
      Collage Shadow Box:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/3-Dphoto.jpg
      Ignore that the berries in the background are too vivid/too large/sky too
      dark - this was a "just do it" project for me. I may redo that background
      image someday....

      Mine has a "surreal" quality to it. It uses five photographs that my son
      took - one of his senior pictures (Matt with MG) - and fish I found on the
      Internet (those are the four fish that died from the ammonia spike -- so
      this is a "shrine" to them, too). The building is Stocker Hall at Ohio
      University (where my son's main courses in ME are held).
      Behind the doors is a full image of the building along with a park scene and
      my son with his MG (I said this was surreal -- the MG is in the shop without
      an engine and has not run since prom night 2002).

      The main building was done with four photographs the same size (mine are all
      printed from the computer - his photos were on CD)- layered - and separated
      with mat board for a little relief and with foam core board for more relief.
      The images in the foreground (sculpture-flower and plant) are supported with
      blocks of wood. The doors have plastic in them to simulate glass. The box is
      collaged inside and out with the history of Stocker Hall and Ohio
      University. I put a full size photo of Stocker Hall on the back of the box.

      I will add this image to the end of year "Fun" page...and will tag it onto
      my shadow box lesson plan - for tying in local architecture.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources