re: high school cultural arts curriculum

  • stephc418
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1 12:20 PM
      The high school course will be an 18 week elective with no
      prerequisites. It will be designed for the student who enjoys the
      crafts but is not necessarily interested in pursuing art as a
      career option. We basically want to offer a global selection of
      cultures and art forms. But we also want to write a curriculum
      that will create flexibility for the teacher and not lock in to specific
      projects. For example, If I teach them about Mexican culture, I do
      not necessarily want to do Day of the Death masks all the time. I
      might want to do bark painting one year , then Oaxacan
      sculptures or something else the following year. I just don't
      know how to structure the writing of it. Should I organize it
      according to art forms, the seven continents, or what? Does
      anyone have any thoughts? Judy, if you find that site you were
      talking about, please let me know

      Thanks
    • Carol E Campbell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1 7:03 PM

        Hi,

        I think that one of the approaches to take would be to concentrated on cultures in geographic areas, then in the best crafts of that culture, then in the specific projects within that craft. Yet, you could feature a particular craft one year,( or semester?) and then contrast how another culture would do the same craft; i.e. weaving.

        Oh, well...this may not be a very linear response but you have to start somewhere, I guess.

        ....Carol-joyuzsong

        ---
        "Art like morality, begins by drawing the line somewhere."

[...]

        Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1 8:40 PM
          Stephanie,

          Another way to approach this might be to see what cultures have the most resources available to compliment the units.
          I would definitely take a look at Crizmac catalog. I really got hooked on Art of Haiti after I got Haitian Visions. Build some strong units around their resources.

          Judy