high school cultural arts curriculum

  • stephc418
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2004
      I will be writing a new curriculum for a 1/2 year one semester elective, title,
      "Arts, Crafts and Cultures" This is a high school level course for grades 9-12.
      We have a general rationale for the course and a HUGE pile of ideas for
      lessons. I am looking to find out how other schools have organized such a
      curriculum. If any one is willing to share their experience with this, I would like
      to hear from you. I am also willing to share or swap curricula from this course
      or others in my high school.

      Ken and Judy, Great job moderating. There have been some excellent topics
      posted most recently.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2004
        Greetings,

        I think you should select your cultures first....Let us know what ones you
        want to focus on. I have many links on my site -- and will add other
        cultures if I know someone out there will use them:

        Incredible Art Resources

        I found a GREAT site a while back that has just the program you are
        planning - "Arts, Crafts and Cultures" .... I will see if I can find the
        site again - It was quite some time ago that I posted it.

        If I don't post the link in a couple days - ask me about it.

        Judy
      • stephc418
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
          The high school course will be an 18 week elective with no
          prerequisites. It will be designed for the student who enjoys the
          crafts but is not necessarily interested in pursuing art as a
          career option. We basically want to offer a global selection of
          cultures and art forms. But we also want to write a curriculum
          that will create flexibility for the teacher and not lock in to specific
          projects. For example, If I teach them about Mexican culture, I do
          not necessarily want to do Day of the Death masks all the time. I
          might want to do bark painting one year , then Oaxacan
          sculptures or something else the following year. I just don't
          know how to structure the writing of it. Should I organize it
          according to art forms, the seven continents, or what? Does
          anyone have any thoughts? Judy, if you find that site you were
          talking about, please let me know

          Thanks
        • Carol E Campbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004

            Hi,

            I think that one of the approaches to take would be to concentrated on cultures in geographic areas, then in the best crafts of that culture, then in the specific projects within that craft. Yet, you could feature a particular craft one year,( or semester?) and then contrast how another culture would do the same craft; i.e. weaving.

            Oh, well...this may not be a very linear response but you have to start somewhere, I guess.

            ....Carol-joyuzsong

            ---
            "Art like morality, begins by drawing the line somewhere."

[...]

            Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
              Stephanie,

              Another way to approach this might be to see what cultures have the most resources available to compliment the units.
              I would definitely take a look at Crizmac catalog. I really got hooked on Art of Haiti after I got Haitian Visions. Build some strong units around their resources.

              Judy