Interesting Site

  • The Austin's
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2001
      With all the current discussion on Mexican art I thought someone may find this site useful. I have the free guides (go to the main page) and find them fairly useful.

      Torres-Garcia Symbolism Unit" (Grades 9-12)
      (ARTSEDGE, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts)
      http://marcopolo.worldcom.com/partner/15ae_unit.cfm
      Students will learn about the development of symbolism in modern art by studying noted Hispanic artist Joaquin
      Torres-Garcia.

      "The United States/Mexico Border" (Grades 9-12)
      (Xpeditions, National Geographic Society)
      http://marcopolo.worldcom.com/partner/15xp_usmexico.cfm
      Students will research daily life, industries and the political situation along the United States/Mexico border.

      "Day of the Dead" (Grades 3-12)
      (ARTSEDGE, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts)
      http://marcopolo.worldcom.com/partner/15ae_day.cfm
      In this visual arts lesson, students will study Day of the Dead customs in Mexico, Central America and South
      America.

      "AmericArtes" (All Grades)
      (ARTSEDGE, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts)
      http://marcopolo.worldcom.com/partner/15ae_americartes.cfm
      Visit this special ARTSEDGE resource to find complete lesson plans and links to information about Hispanic
      culture and history.

      "National Hispanic Heritage Month" (All Grades)
      (EDSITEment, National Endowment for the Humanities)
      http://marcopolo.worldcom.com/partner/15ed_nathisp.cfm
      EDSITEment has a selection of reviewed resources to help your students explore the history and artistic heritage of the Hispanic people whose culture has roots in Europe, Africa and the Americas.

      "Images of Science" (Grades K-2)
      (Science NetLinks, American Association for the Advancement of Science)
      http://marcopolo.worldcom.com/partner/15sci_images.cfm
      Students will explore the diversity of science through web sites devoted to minority scientists from around the world.

      "Mi Canto" ("My Song") (Grades 5-8)
      (ARTSEDGE, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts)
      http://marcopolo.worldcom.com/partner/15ae_micanto.cfm
      Students will create an original poem in Spanish, reflecting their own personality traits and life goals.

      "¡América, sin fronteras!" (Grades 6-8)
      (ARTSEDGE, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts)
      http://marcopolo.worldcom.com/partner/15ae_america.cfm
      Students will explore the meaning of the word "America" by listening to a Spanish-language rock song.

      ~Michal