color theory in K -1

  • Carolyn Mills
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2003

      ORIGINAL QUESTION:

      I am doing a research project on color theory and its nesscessity in elementary art education.

      Hi Ann,
                       I  teach Kindergarten and Grade One art in an urban public school district near Boston, MA.  I  teach students the warm and cool colors when we do a lesson based on Vincent van Gogh's painting of "Starry Night". Students learn color mixing to make shades and tints when we do a unit on Claude Monet's paintings of Waterliles. We also introduce the primary colors by reading the children's book "Mouse Paint" and experimenting  with mixing the colors of red, yellow and blue. Color theory is an important piece of our early childhood art program and we are always trying to think of new ways to include it in our projects.   Good luck with your research!  Carolyn Mills  Art Educator, Early Learning Center,  Chelsea, MA

      If you would like to view my students art work you can visit our school's on-line art gallery at    http://www.chelsea.mec.edu/ELC/home.html

      From what we get, we can make a living;
      what we give, however, makes a life. - Arthur Ashe

      Do you Yahoo!?