Some thinking in Art Education - from Patty Knott

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2004
      Greetings Art Educators,

      When I get a good post from Patty on one of the other lists - I like to
      share it with you. Patty is the curriculum guru of the lists. Here is a
      related article (written for early grades - but still important for upper
      grades):

      http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/prek2/issues/404issue.shtm

      From Patty Knott:

      Curriculum and what art teachers teach is often my passion
      and I really don't think we need much research - the examples are out there.
      The research is general brain research.
      Brain growth is the result of interacting with enriched environment.
      Period.
      Every curriculum - art or otherwise - needs to provide
      novel challenges
      opportunities for choice ands self direction
      social interaction
      self reflection
      and stimulation of all the senses

      Provide a play environment - create "strangeness" and ask the kids to ask
      WHY
      Give problems to solve rather than lists of information.
      Our brains thrive on inquiry and figuring out the strange and unusual.
      My personal curriculum is driven by skepticism and a safe environment
      where that skepticism can exist.
      Risk taking is rewarded even if it is less than successful.
      Technical skill follows the idea. My question is always,"What media will
      best convey the communication of your idea?... And it is my job to gently
      bend
      and adjust the student choice to what my experience tells. ... and sometimes
      it is better to let them be bent.
      Learning is not 1+1 =2 ... Learning is how many ways can you get to 2.
      If we allow all the ways to get to 2 and give validity to all the ways to
      get to 2, then we truly allow the process of inquiry and challenge.

      Let imaginations wonder. Allow speculation. Allow the questions.... but
      most of all allow for the reflection. Build on the reflection.
      Critique like a scientist and cherish the insight. We need kids that can
      ask rude questions and we need to be vigilant in directing that rudeness. We
      have the best opportunity in art for brain growth

      Patty

      I value Patty's time that it takes to write these gems - so I like to get
      more mileage out of them (smile).

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources