Here are the "hot" Middle School Artists (Gregl)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 5:16 PM
      Greetings Greg and all,

      Glad you are hanging around, Greg,

      Middlers need Op and Pop - maybe even do somthing fun with them together?
      But definitely Pop -- so many do Warhol - but you could take it to the Max
      with Peter Max?
      I didn't care for Warhol's character...I just did him in connection with
      Renaissance a couple of times (used the works he copied). Elementary
      teachers like to do Warhol, too

      Jacob Lawrence and Romare Bearden are good for middle school. Chuck Close is
      big, too.
      I would love to see you do Haring.

      Here is the list (submitted last spring) that you don't already have songs
      for

      Sandy Skoglund
      Jacob Lawrence
      John Biggers
      Jesus Moroles
      Henry Moore
      Stuart Davis
      Romare Bearden
      Roy Lichtenstein
      Chuck Close
      Keith Haring
      Georges Seurat
      Roy Lichtenstien
      Bridget Riley
      Remebrandt
      George Rouault
      Albrecht Durer
      Pop Art (Andy Warhol - Robert Rauschenberg - Claes Olderburg)
      Impressionism (Claude Monet and others)
      Janet Fish with watercolor/painting
      Frida Kahlo with self portraits
      Frank Lloyd Wright - with Architecture
      Kathe Kollwitz
      Hokusai
      Wyland
      Christo and Jeanne Claude
      Wassily Kandinsky
      Winslow Homer

      Renaissance (various artists - perspective)
      Middle Ages

      Middle school list that you already have songs for
      Leonardo Da Vinci (well you do have Mona)
      Matisse
      Escher
      Van Gogh
      Picasso
      Pollock
      Calder
      O'Keeffe
      Surrealism - you have Dali
      Mondrain
      I did Rousseau with 6th grade
      Some do Grant Wood - but he wasn't listed

      Gret- you will love middle school kids and they will love you. They are just
      elementary kids in bigger bodies.
      Not quite grown up yet - but many will get your jokes. They were my favorite
      age.

      Looks like there is plenty of material there to last you for a few years.
      Middlers probably don't need any more elements and principles type songs -
      but you could throw in something fun for elementary if you want. Perspective
      would be good for middle school. Maybe wathc the Gerald Brommer (Crystal
      Productions) video and Masters of Illusion for some inspiration for that
      song.

      I played music from the time period of the artists I was using. You could
      introduce the unit with your song - then add other music through out. Middle
      schools years are good for intorducing cultures too. I can give you a list
      of those too...In many schools, sixth grade is ancient civilizations - so
      Egypt would be fun to do. Cultures to come later. This is already long
      enough for now. I played CDs of folk tales too for my cultural units.

      Use this list to help you through your middle school years. We have some
      pros on this list.