Northwest Coast Totem Lesson - an authentic approach

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      Andy DiConti's link is a repeat for Art Education list - but I am posting it
      again. http://www.lcusd.net/lchs/adiconti/totems.htm
      This is an authentic approach as his students carved wood - and the work is
      amazing. I know what all Andy was teaching in his lesson....and I also know
      that the Nortwest Coast DO want us to know about their art and the meanings.
      Many sites are online teaching us about their art. There are also videos - a
      good one is Smart One with Dempsey Bob (if you can find it). Plus there is
      an excellent CD-ROM about the totems and meaning. Not all Native Cultures
      agree with everything on the "Do Nots" list.

      I will let you decide which is the better lesson.
      See this one that is on ArtsEdge Kennedy Center:
      http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/content/2205/

      I am not posting these to debate - just for reflection.
      My wood assemblage totem generated a healthy discussion on Art Education
      list....and in the end we decided we were all in agreement afterall. I just
      didn't make my idea post a wordy one.

      Here is that long list of Do's and Don'ts:
      http://www.ammsa.com/classroom/CLASSEDDOS.html
      This is the popular "Don't" that we art teachers get attacked on:
      "Don't have them make "Indian crafts" unless you know authentic methods and
      have authentic materials."
      I can find a whole mess of Do's in Andy's lesson and in the personal Totem
      lesson idea I posted.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources