special education and new member Introduction

  • violet4b <rickioutis@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2002
      Heather,

      I teach adults with learning difficulties in the UK. I'm not sure what
      your K- classifications mean. I sometimes start off the year with
      students making a book over a few weeks which describes their every
      day lives- A picture of their house on the cover with a window that
      opens revealing a self portrait. A pop- up picture of their journey to
      class. A page on their favourite foods, one on their friends etc. I
      use simple pop- up and rotate structures wherever possible to make the
      books more exciting and bring precut shapes on card for students who
      can't draw to colour in( eg a bus , car or foot to stick into page on
      journey to work, a cup and plate for food page etc). I find this
      exercise allows me to really get to know my students and their
      ablities within the first few weeks. Even students with very little
      ability can often scribble into a shape which can be glued into the
      book. As we go along the students often personalise their books
      further by adding in things that are specific to their interests.

      Someone mentioned that there is are lists dedicated to special
      educational needs. If you know of any , could you post their adresses.

      Best wishes
      Ricki (Cambrideshire, U. K)