NAEA Convention 2014

  • ednakate
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2
      I am hoping for some guidance on attending this event. I am a K-5 Art teacher and live in San Diego.
      I would love to have some feedback about must see or must do activities as well as any thoughts on how to get the most out of the convention.
      Thanks,
      Alyssa
      San Diego
    • kenroar
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7
        Are there any members who can answer her question? I haven't gone to the national convention in a very long time.
      • Gmail
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8
          The NAEA convention has always been very inspirational. I would first take some time to look through the full list of presenter topics and see what you feel would be interesting or be adaptable in your classroom. Then I usually highlight my top two choices for each time slot, just in case one is full or if it is canceled. If you have a buddy to go with we usually try to share info from other workshops so we get double inspiration. I have also be known to google search the presenter and see if they have a website.

          Holly Bess Kincaid
          NBCT ArtLadyHBK
        • Linda Scott
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10
          Hi Alyssa,

          I have worked at NAEA for almost 6 years and can share some insight with you. The first thing I recommend, as others have suggested, is to create a schedule in advance. There are over 1,000 sessions and there are so many different events going on all day, every day and it can be intimidating and exhausting if you do not have a plan.

          Within the schedule, sessions are scheduled within categories (please see attached; there are 44 of them). This will help narrow down your choices. We have created a microsite where you can find all things related to the Convention: http://www.arteducators.org/events/conv14/overview. You can view the schedule at a glance here, organized by day: http://www.arteducators.org/events/conv14/schedule-at-a-glance. Most sessions are free. You also have the option to purchase tickets for special sessions, which can be found here: http://www.arteducators.org/events/conv14/ticketed-sessions.

          Other don't miss events are the General Sessions &/or Super Sessions, Artisans Gallery, Exhibit Hall & Art Materials Giveaway, and Museum Expo for K-12 Teachers (new for 2014).

          You will receive a printed catalog when you pick up your registration materials in person, but I strongly recommend downloading the mobile app (available mid- to late-Feb.). It will give you an advance look of the schedule and create your schedule for you on your mobile device.

          We also will be holding a "First Time Attendee Session" on 3/29 from 5:00-5:50 pm in the Hilton Hotel/Indigo Ballroom H/Level 2 (double-check the app for room location, as schedule could change)

          If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We are more than happy to help! We look forward to seeing you in San Diego!

          Kind regards,
          Linda

          Linda Scott | Web & eCommunications Manager
          National Art Education Association, 1806 Robert Fulton Drive, Suite 300, Reston, VA 20191

          P: 703-889-1282 | F: 703-860-2960 | E: lscott@...

          REGISTER NOW :: 2014 NAEA National Convention :: SAN DIEGO, CA :: March 29-31
        • shebaduhkitty
          Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22
            I am so excited to go to the national convention again this year. I went the year it was in my hometown, Seattle and back a number of years in New York City. I will be presenting on Sunday and have already been picking sessions to attend.

            I do have hotel reservations with a bed to spare if anyone is looking to share, contact me offine!

            Cynthia Gaub
            North Middle School
            Everett Wa
            http://www.artechtivity.com