Thanksgiving art ideas

  • kenroar
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2013
      The fourth Thursday of November is the traditional Thanksgiving holiday in the United States. The second Monday in October is the Thanksgiving holiday in Canada.

      Do any of you do special art activities or lessons in November related to Thanksgiving? I am looking beyond the turkey hand-tracings and something more challenging. Your ideas will appear on the Thanksgiving page of IAD.

      Ken
    • Connie
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2013
        Leaf tracing, gather leaves (soak them if dried out) and use them to make layered tracings.  Do zen-doodles on them, or write short phrases about what you are thankful for.

      • kamla_rk
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2013

          Greetings from India..!it is our biggest festival of the year on 2 Nov. Called DIWALI.The whole country celebrates this festival with family and friends.
          We buy new dresses.Make sweets at home which we distribute to our family and friends.
          The house is decorated with lamps in the evening.There is a display of fireworks.
          Corporate and business groups exchange Diwali gifts too.
          All educational institutes are closed for two days.It is a Bank holiday on 2 Nov.

          If you know any Indian friend wish them a 'Happy Diwali'on 2 Nov.

          Kamla
          Chennai
          India

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2013
            Kamla,

            What does this festival celebrate? Why is it on November 2?

            Ken

[...]

          • numinousart4life
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2013

               Kamla, Thanks for the heads up on the Diwali festival - I found a recipe we are going to try out on that day  (here: http://www.kidsgen.com/events/diwali/)

              Also, years ago, one of my college roommates, Nesa, was from India - and I am going to make sure I send her an email on 11-2. She is a person that brought much art into my life during the early1990's and some of my art lessons were inspired by her love for color.  I also have a newer "friend" from India - well a blogging acquaintance - and I have enjoyed his Indian culture posts - and some of the fun cartoon pictures in different posts (http://allresourceupdates.wordpress.com).

              Thanks - and Happy Diwali day to you Kamla -

              ~Yvette