Re: Paint settling

  • Larry Seiler
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2013

      If you send them back, I'd consider getting Atelier Chromacryl...and some pump spigots.  Fine color...decently priced half gallon jugs...and in 14 years use have never had anything as you describe happen...

    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20, 2013

        I've seen this with paints taht have been frozen.  The acrylic is probably ruined but the tempera could potentially be saved.  Call the vendor and have them send new.  Then you can experiment with the funky stuff.

        Ali

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, <art_education@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I just got my paint order in (exciting, I know) but many of the bottles of both acrylic and tempera paint have the pigment settled to the bottom and a thick layer of the binder at the top. They are half gallon bottles that are too difficult to shake. I considered pouring it into a blender but that would be messy and time consuming. I've never had to deal with this problem with a new order of paint. Any suggestions? Should I just contact the vendor and send them back?

      • Byrd1956
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2013

          I store paint bottles upside down and then keep flipping them every so often.  I have had the big guys in class shake them up; we've passed them around the room and everyone has helped shake them up.  I have used the blender and yes it does take some time.  It does work though.  I have never thought to contact the vendor.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, <art_education@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I just got my paint order in (exciting, I know) but many of the bottles of both acrylic and tempera paint have the pigment settled to the bottom and a thick layer of the binder at the top. They are half gallon bottles that are too difficult to shake. I considered pouring it into a blender but that would be messy and time consuming. I've never had to deal with this problem with a new order of paint. Any suggestions? Should I just contact the vendor and send them back?

        • perigraphics2013
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 21, 2013
            Have you seen the paint mixer that looks like a rod with a small disk on the end of it that attaches to a drill? You can get them at the hardware store. It might work. I've used it on cans of paint .