Re: Lesson plans?

  • Katherine Abrams
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28, 2013
      For Jennifer -

      The units don't have to be by media. If your district has an art curriculum, use that. If your district is concentrating on 21st century skills like critical thinking, so much the better. If your district doesn't have an art curriculum use the state's, if it is decent. The media is just the, well, medium, through which your students will understand, practice, and master the skills.

      For example, our state and district have objectives stating that students will understand how art reflects its culture and its time. This can be extended to show how art influences its culture and its time. I can choose from cultures around the world and throughout history to create units or individual lessons. Let's say I introduce Northwest Pacific Native Americans and Canadians ("First People") of the last 200 years (with a map, too). There are traditional works to show, like wooden masks and totem poles. There are contemporary artists like sculptor Bill Reid. There are visitors to the culture like Emily Carr. When I introduce the lesson I can ask students to think about living in the Pacific Northwest. Set the stage -- what is the countryside like? Trees, ocean. How will you live? What animals will be important? Students love to guess what animals might live in a Canadian Pacific forest. What do you think might be the purpose of this art? Later, students can identify elements and principles in the artwork. (This does not have to happen all in one session.) If you want, your Centers can include information on the artists. One unit can work for all grades, if you introduce sequential art skills in each and have different examples. Some schools "do" a culture a year -- the Renaissance, India, Mexico, etc.

      So if the students choose sculpture, collage, painting, or drawing, it doesn't matter to the unit goals. If your curriculum emphasizes technical art skills, you can make that the demo and you will have to keep track of when students master the skills.

      Kathie Abrams