Museum of Modern Art Self Guided Visit

  • Terri Frohman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2013
      Hello All!
      I have done a few visits in the past to the MOMA in NYC and have never had GREAT success with their museum guides enticing my high school students and being able to inspire  them on their view on art.
      I am considering doing a mid year trip with one group and an end of the year trip with another. Has anyone ever done a self-guided trip to a large museum? If so, do you have resources that you might be able to share with me to help guide an activity? I was thinking an elements and principles of art scavenger hunt that might get them discussing in groups and seeing the most artwork.

      Thank you!
      Terri- NYC

    • theresafmcgee
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2013
        Terri,
        Each year my class does a self-guided museum tour as the culmination for a larger artist research unit done in class.  I put together lots of resources and ideas and how I structure the artist expert lesson here .
        Or you can try a scavenger hunt collaboration between art and math developed for the high school level.  Both examples use mobile technology but can be modified if you don't have access.  I hope this helps.
        Theresa McGee

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Terri Frohman wrote:

        > Hello All!
        > I have done a few visits in the past to the MOMA in NYC and have never
        > had great success with their museum guides enticing my high school
        > students and being able to inspire them at the museum. So I am thinking
        > of taking things into my own hands!
        > I am considering doing a mid year trip with one group and an end of the
        > year trip with another. Has anyone ever done a self-guided trip to a
        > large museum? If so, do you have resources that you might be able to
        > share with me to help guide an activity? I was thinking an elements and
        > principles of art scavenger hunt that might get them discussing in
        > groups and seeing the most artwork.
        >
        > Thank you!
        >
        > Ms. Terri Frohman | High School Art Teacher
        > Newark Collegiate Academy|A KIPP High School
        > 18 Norfolk St. Newark NJ 07102
        >
        > TEAM Charter Schools|www.teamschools.org
        > KIPP: Work hard. Be nice.|kipp.org

      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2013
          Thanks for the links.
          Was anyone else having problems with their facebook image masking a blank strip about 1/3 long of the page? I couldn't seem to make it go away?
          What I could read. I like.
          Brandy

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "theresafmcgee" <t_mcgee@...> wrote:

          > Terri,Each year my class does a self-guided museum tour as the
          > culmination for a larger artist research unit done in class. I put
          > together lots of resources and ideas and how I structure the artist
          > expert lesson here
          > <http://theteachingpalette.com/2013/02/01/artist-experts-on-ipads/> .
          > Or you can try a scavenger hunt collaboration between art and math
          > <http://theteachingpalette.com/2010/06/30/ipod-nano-scavenger-hunt-conne\
          > cting-math-art/> developed for the high school level. Both examples
          > use mobile technology but can be modified if you don't have access. I
          > hope this helps.Theresa McGee
          > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Terri Frohman wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello All!
          > > I have done a few visits in the past to the MOMA in NYC and have never
          > > had great success with their museum guides enticing my high school
          > > students and being able to inspire them at the museum. So I am
          > thinking
          > > of taking things into my own hands!
          > > I am considering doing a mid year trip with one group and an end of
          > the
          > > year trip with another. Has anyone ever done a self-guided trip to a
          > > large museum? If so, do you have resources that you might be able to
          > > share with me to help guide an activity? I was thinking an elements
          > and
          > > principles of art scavenger hunt that might get them discussing in
          > > groups and seeing the most artwork.
          > >
          > > Thank you!
          > >
          > > Ms. Terri Frohman | High School Art Teacher
          > > Newark Collegiate Academy|A KIPP High School
          > > 18 Norfolk St. Newark NJ 07102
          > >
          > > TEAM Charter Schools|www.teamschools.org
          > > KIPP: Work hard. Be nice.|kipp.org

        • jlynch
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2013
            I could not get the links to pull up, either.

            Jamie B Lynch

            On Aug 10, 2013, at 11:52 AM, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

            Thanks for the links.
            Was anyone else having problems with their facebook image masking a blank strip about 1/3 long of the page? I couldn't seem to make it go away?
            What I could read. I like.
            Brandy

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "theresafmcgee" <t_mcgee@...> wrote:

            > Terri,Each year my class does a self-guided museum tour as the
            > culmination for a larger artist research unit done in class. I put
            > together lots of resources and ideas and how I structure the artist
            > expert lesson here
            > <http://theteachingpalette.com/2013/02/01/artist-experts-on-ipads/> .
            > Or you can try a scavenger hunt collaboration between art and math
            > <http://theteachingpalette.com/2010/06/30/ipod-nano-scavenger-hunt-conne\
            > cting-math-art/> developed for the high school level. Both examples
            > use mobile technology but can be modified if you don't have access. I
            > hope this helps.Theresa McGee
            > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Terri Frohman wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello All!
            > > I have done a few visits in the past to the MOMA in NYC and have never
            > > had great success with their museum guides enticing my high school
            > > students and being able to inspire them at the museum. So I am
            > thinking
            > > of taking things into my own hands!
            > > I am considering doing a mid year trip with one group and an end of
            > the
            > > year trip with another. Has anyone ever done a self-guided trip to a
            > > large museum? If so, do you have resources that you might be able to
            > > share with me to help guide an activity? I was thinking an elements
            > and
            > > principles of art scavenger hunt that might get them discussing in
            > > groups and seeing the most artwork.
            > >
            > > Thank you!
            > >
            > > Ms. Terri Frohman | High School Art Teacher
            > > Newark Collegiate Academy|A KIPP High School
            > > 18 Norfolk St. Newark NJ 07102
            > >
            > > TEAM Charter Schools|www.teamschools.org
            > > KIPP: Work hard. Be nice.|kipp.org

          • Ken