special needs students

  • Huddy, Heather
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 16, 2002
      Hello Friends-
      If you know of websites, books, etc... art projects for special needs
      students (my group is K-3)I am in need of the information. I see my students
      for 50 minutes one day per week.
      Thanks!
      Heather

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 16, 2002

        a few suggestions....

        www.ldresources.com     Richard Wanderman's site

        http://whyart.com/links.htm  the Links page from my website

        http://whyart.com/archive.htm  Archive of lessons (and more) from my website

        http://crayola.com/educators/lessons/results.cfm Crayola's special needs lesson plans

        http://www.haringkids.com/lessons/envs/live/htdocs/index.htm Keith Haring Foundation lesson plans data base

        http://www.albrightknox.org/ArtStart/lessonplans.html Albright-Knox Art Gallery Lesson Plans

        good luck!

        WhyART.com

        Michael Gerrish pensive.jpg (44592 bytes)

        WHYART.com  "Transforming Education Through Art"
        http://whyart.com                                    mrg@...

      • Carolyn Mills
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 16, 2002

          Heather,

          I work with K-1 bi-lingual special ed students and I may have some lessons you could use.   What level of special ed do your students require? Is it an integrated group?  You can email me at  ms_lina23@...  if would would like me to explain our program.    Carolyn

          If you know of  websites, books, etc... art projects for special needs
          students (my group is K-3)I am in need of the information. I see my students
          for 50 minutes one day per week.

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Michael Gerrish

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 20, 2002
              Hi Carolyn!
              My students are K-3 integrated. They range form mildly to severely impaired. I see them once a week for 50 minutes. I do not have training in this area- Art Educators in Michigan are self taught. Thank you for any assistance. Please send to artedgal@...

              Happy Holidays!

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
                Hi Julie,
                You have quite a challenge!!

                It probably would be helpful to look back on what projects you have done that you consider successful, and also which ones didn't work.

                I remember the year or two that i taught a group like that -  I don't think that everyone in the group reacted the same way to every project.  I hope you have a small class and at least an aide for assistance.

                I think the teachers who work specifically with these students might give you the best ways to work with them - find out what each student is interested in and use that as a starting point.  (e.g. My friend's daughter who is autistic, loves her dog, family and Harry Potter)  If you could catch their attention first with a concept common to most in the class, you can design projects with their "themes" in mind.

                Probably short experiences like ones which are completed in one session are most satisfying...however
                This is complex but maybe a culminating project:  One project I remember that worked well was using large cardboard.  They created paintings of one large recognizable figure like a clown, a dancer, etc.  They collaged hair and other textural interest...I cut out a hole where the face goes.  they really enjoyed getting their pictures taken with these.  (and can be used for a school fair, showcasing their abilities,too.)

                I work with ED kids only - seems to me they should be addressed separately from some of the other students.

                Hope you find some ideas in this
                Grace

              • Julie Casebourn
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008

                  Thanks for your ideas Grace.  I am definately going to try the large cardboard cut-out idea sometime and with the higher functioning students..and some drawing and painting based on their personal lives.
                     Anyone else have a great lesson to share?

                • Alyssa Navapanich
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
                    I do a marker line drawing project that is really colorful and fun. I have done this with grades K-5. I give each student 6 squares each of 5"x5" paper and they create designs. The first few squares are with parameters such as only circle shapes, straight lines, angled lines, etc. The last 2 are free choice. When the squares are mounted tightly together on black paper, they are quite stunning.
                    Alyssa
                    San Diego

                  • aliteachesart
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 22, 2008
                      Wow Heather- 50 minutes!
                      That is a long chunk of time for little ones! You can read picture
                      books at the beginning of class or half way through to transition into
                      a new art activity. You might want to consider centers (check out TAB
                      if you haven't already).

                      I do my kindergarten lessons with my special classes, or focus on
                      exploration and fine motor skills like painting, cutting, and clay.
                      If your class has a lot of kids who do work hand over hand, group
                      projects might be nice.

                      We do multiple projects focusing of the face, collages, scarecrows, etc.

                      Just make sure your students get choices and have fun. This group may
                      end up being your favorite! ALi
                    • ebart_teacher
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 23, 2008
                        I have worked with a 6th grader with severe down's syndrome.(no verbal
                        skills) I started off having him tear scrap paper and glue it with a
                        glue stick onto large paper. For a while I had him tear it and then I
                        would put the glue on and then he would stick it where he wanted on the
                        paper. He made color choices and showed spatial awareness with this
                        project. The tearing was also theraputic for him.

                        It depends on the degree of special need students that you are working
                        with. If they are able to understand instructions they can do just
                        about anything, with in reason. It just won't turn out like some of
                        the other kid's and that is perfectly ok! Finger painting is fun for
                        some kids (although I have found that some of my autistic and blind do
                        NOT like it!) Just get to know your students and you should be fine!