Re: NEED any input/advice to "blow their socks off" in my interview PLZ!

  • Katherine Abrams
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2013
      Follow Ken's advice. Check the website he recommends. It's terrific!  I like Bunki Kramer's advice, among the other great entries.

      Two points:

      1. Relax! It's fine to "let it all hang out" to us, and I can relate to the strong feelings that arise in certain job situations. But keep your interview persona to your very best professional and positive level. Don't show that you are feeling on the edge. There are many other ways to help you with that, but your prospective employer does not want to deal with it.

      2. Do create a portfolio, as teachers on the site recommend. Update work at levels that you have taught later than your outdated stuff. Include terrific student art, showing state standards, that document success by great students and by not-so-great students. I like a flash drive or CD that the supervisor can keep. If that is too daunting, do make a slide show with cues that you can follow as you "walk through" your teaching. That will let you discuss why you chose certain topics to study, how it helped the students, how it contributed to the school or related to other areas of curriculum, and any positive feedback from parents, art shows, district website, etc. Include some (2 to 5 pieces) personal work, but focus on you as a teacher. Going through this process may help you feel better, too, as you realize what you have accomplished with students at different levels (even if it was unappreciated by others).

      If you still feel depressed, get a little therapy or see a psychiatrist for short-term help. Our field can be very stressful. Your union has help available if you need resources.

      Kathie Abrams
    • artteacherlady
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 21, 2013
        GREAT IDEAS- THANKS!

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

        > Call your prospective school and talk to the office people. Ask them who might be doing the interview and if that person is more paper-in-hand or technological bent- that will answer some of your questions as to whether a portfolio of projects or a power point is going to be more impressive. When in doubt, have both and give them the option as to how they would like to see your syllabus presented.
        > Find out what you can about the school's "mission" and then align your answers to include those buzz words or phrases.
        > Good luck,
        > Brandy
        >
        > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "artteacherlady" <nancylvsart@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I feel a little silly asking, but, does anyone have advice for an interview? I have been teaching a long time and have not had many interviews in recent years. I want to make sure that I am prepared. What should I bring? Any ideas for possible questions & answers?
        > > I probably would not even bother you all except that I have had the worst year of my teaching career- for the first time I did not like it or want to go. I had been praying for a high school position to open, and it did. (THANK GOD!) It is not that I do not like elementary- I love ALL kids- just trust me on this, it is a LONG story that is not a positive one. Besides- I LOVE teaching high school & I am good at it! I know I make a difference when I am at the secondary level.
        > > Sooooo, I really need something that sets me apart from everyone else. I have a decent resume & cover letter. I also included a list of my sites (my art & student art). I have a somewhat outdated portfolio in a 3- ring binder that I can update, but I am not sure if that is the way to go. I was also thinking of a slideshow on my ipad? Yet that seems so ho - hum! What are principals really looking for any way? Should I do something with common core? Should I teach them an art lesson? Should I have a few former students do a snippet video about my class or what they learned from me? IDEAS? anyone? anyone? BUELLER? BUELLER?
        > > I HAVE to get this job! I can NOT teach at my former school another year (says while pulling hair out). If I donot get this job, they might as well take me out to a field & shoot me! Yes, really! I have gone from LOVING what I do and KNOWING that I am in the right career to DEPRESSION & HATING what I do! No offense, but I would rather teach MATH!
        > > Please? Please! I will be your best friend!
        > > Seriously- ANY ideas, advice & help would be great!
        > > Thanks,

      • artteacherlady
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2013
          Thanks!

          > I recommend you read this page. It includes advice from various art teachers.
          >
          > http://www.incredibleart.org/jobs/advice.html
          >
          > Ken
          >
          > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "artteacherlady" <nancylvsart@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I feel a little silly asking, but, does anyone have advice for an interview? I have been teaching a long time and have not had many interviews in recent years. I want to make sure that I am prepared. What should I bring? Any ideas for possible questions & answers?
          > > I probably would not even bother you all except that I have had the worst year of my teaching career- for the first time I did not like it or want to go. I had been praying for a high school position to open, and it did. (THANK GOD!) It is not that I do not like elementary- I love ALL kids- just trust me on this, it is a LONG story that is not a positive one. Besides- I LOVE teaching high school & I am good at it! I know I make a difference when I am at the secondary level.
          > > Sooooo, I really need something that sets me apart from everyone else. I have a decent resume & cover letter. I also included a list of my sites (my art & student art). I have a somewhat outdated portfolio in a 3- ring binder that I can update, but I am not sure if that is the way to go. I was also thinking of a slideshow on my ipad? Yet that seems so ho - hum! What are principals really looking for any way? Should I do something with common core? Should I teach them an art lesson? Should I have a few former students do a snippet video about my class or what they learned from me? IDEAS? anyone? anyone? BUELLER? BUELLER?
          > > I HAVE to get this job! I can NOT teach at my former school another year (says while pulling hair out). If I donot get this job, they might as well take me out to a field & shoot me! Yes, really! I have gone from LOVING what I do and KNOWING that I am in the right career to DEPRESSION & HATING what I do! No offense, but I would rather teach MATH!
          > > Please? Please! I will be your best friend!
          > > Seriously- ANY ideas, advice & help would be great!
          > > Thanks,

        • artteacherlady
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 21, 2013
            Thanks- I appreciate all your help!

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Abrams <kathabrams@...> wrote:

            > Follow Ken's advice. Check the website he recommends. It's terrific! I
            > like Bunki Kramer's advice, among the other great entries.
            >
            > Two points:
            >
            > 1. Relax! It's fine to "let it all hang out" to us, and I can relate to the
            > strong feelings that arise in certain job situations. But keep your
            > interview persona to your very best professional and positive level. Don't
            > show that you are feeling on the edge. There are many other ways to help
            > you with that, but your prospective employer does not want to deal with it.
            >
            > 2. Do create a portfolio, as teachers on the site recommend. Update work at
            > levels that you have taught later than your outdated stuff. Include
            > terrific student art, showing state standards, that document success by
            > great students and by not-so-great students. I like a flash drive or CD
            > that the supervisor can keep. If that is too daunting, do make a slide show
            > with cues that you can follow as you "walk through" your teaching. That
            > will let you discuss why you chose certain topics to study, how it helped
            > the students, how it contributed to the school or related to other areas of
            > curriculum, and any positive feedback from parents, art shows, district
            > website, etc. Include some (2 to 5 pieces) personal work, but focus on you
            > as a teacher. Going through this process may help you feel better, too, as
            > you realize what you have accomplished with students at different levels
            > (even if it was unappreciated by others).
            >
            > If you still feel depressed, get a little therapy or see a psychiatrist for
            > short-term help. Our field can be very stressful. Your union has help
            > available if you need resources.
            >

            > Kathie Abrams

          • The Ericksons
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 21, 2013

              For my last interview I put together a “Teaching Portfolio:

              I put it in a super nice soft notebook from Staples with a clear front and I painted a small watercolor which I inserted into the clear front.

              Inside I put various items such as:

              Resume

              Philosophy of Teaching

              Blooms new taxonomy

              Note from a parent

              List of Programs I have initiated at former schools

              State Standards   (maybe you could include the draft of the new Natl art goals that came out this month?)

              If I was doing it today I would definitely include something about Common Core

              An excel chart of my curriculum

              Why Art is important in our society with quotes from Lowenfield, Eisner etc.

              How I use volunteers in my classroom and what that does for a school..

              Examples of students artwork labeled with grade sized to fit into the notebook

              A silly comic about teaching art

              I can’t remember what else….

              It is doubtful that anyone interviewing you is going to read each and every document but my purposes were to show that I am organized, that I have thought through my program, that I understand the history of art education but I also stay current on the what is developing in our field, and that I can use  visual communication to present who I am.

              I hope this helps.

              Cindy

            • Scott Hughes
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 21, 2013
                I think you need to show that you have the proficiency to teach high school and more importantly relate to the kids... Teaching middle school I have learned that you have to meet them where they are at culturally, socially and still train them for responsibility. Especially in you teaching high school as they will be making the jump to college. The rigor and relevance our Principal has been pushing teachers and students to use Cornel note taking etc... If they learn about artists relevant to them and how that relates to Impressionism they are more likely to be interested in Monet.

                --
                Jer 29:11 - For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, said the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

                Middle School Art Teacher, Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks

                "Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together."
                John Ruskin

                Scott Hughes Photography
                125 Marion Oaks Course

              • Scott Hughes
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 21, 2013
                  P.S.

                  I didn't finish my draft... Oops! It was late when I started... I guess what I am saying is make sure you make connections between what the kids already know and what their interested in to what they will need for college etc... Make sure you communicate that to your prospective Principal... They are looking for connectivity between the arts and science/core classes... At least that is a big push here in Florida, so I focus on the engineering/technology type principles and geometry spatial methods in visual and fine arts... Whatever the case make sure your meeting the needs and expectations of the school and administration like our fellows suggested in checking their website etc... But be sure to acclimate to the kids and be able to relate their culture to your curriculum, since you have a primary amount of experience in teaching elementary school, convincing the interviewer you have proficiency in teaching high school will be key... Meet their need, the schools and the kids... Align with their vision of what they want their art program to be... You can always tweak it later... I wish you the best!

                  On Monday, July 22, 2013, Scott Hughes wrote:
                  I think you need to show that you have the proficiency to teach high school and more importantly relate to the kids... Teaching middle school I have learned that you have to meet them where they are at culturally, socially and still train them for responsibility. Especially in you teaching high school as they will be making the jump to college. The rigor and relevance our Principal has been pushing teachers and students to use Cornel note taking etc... If they learn about artists relevant to them and how that relates to Impressionism they are more likely to be interested in Monet.

                  On Sunday, July 21, 2013, Ken wrote:

                  I recommend you read this page. It includes advice from various art teachers.

                  http://www.incredibleart.org/jobs/advice.html

                  Ken

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "artteacherlady" <nancylvsart@...> wrote:

                  > I feel a little silly asking, but, does anyone have advice for an interview? I have been teaching a long time and have not had many interviews in recent years. I want to make sure that I am prepared. What should I bring? Any ideas for possible questions & answers?
                  > I probably would not even bother you all except that I have had the worst year of my teaching career- for the first time I did not like it or want to go. I had been praying for a high school position to open, and it did. (THANK GOD!) It is not that I do not like elementary- I love ALL kids- just trust me on this, it is a LONG story that is not a positive one. Besides- I LOVE teaching high school & I am good at it! I know I make a difference when I am at the secondary level.
                  > Sooooo, I really need something that sets me apart from everyone else. I have a decent resume & cover letter. I also included a list of my sites (my art & student art). I have a somewhat outdated portfolio in a 3- ring binder that I can update, but I am not sure if that is the way to go. I was also thinking of a slideshow on my ipad? Yet that seems so ho - hum! What are principals really looking for any way? Should I do something with common core? Should I teach them an art lesson? Should I have a few former students do a snippet video about my class or what they learned from me? IDEAS? anyone? anyone? BUELLER? BUELLER?
                  > I HAVE to get this job! I can NOT teach at my former school another year (says while pulling hair out). If I donot get this job, they might as well take me out to a field & shoot me! Yes, really! I have gone from LOVING what I do and KNOWING that I am in the right career to DEPRESSION & HATING what I do! No offense, but I would rather teach MATH!
                  > Please? Please! I will be your best friend!
                  > Seriously- ANY ideas, advice & help would be great!
                  > Thanks,

                  Recent Activity: