Who's on First and What's on Second.....?

  • The Ericksons
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4 7:46 AM

      Question for the group:  How do you at your school know who is absent or missing when a classroom group comes to you for Art?    We are having a problem at our school with classes showing up and Suzie is at the nurse and Tommy took the lunch buckets and etc, etc   or we have classroom teachers showing up with 20 students and they are supposed to have 22 and the teacher never told me where those 2 kiddoes are…..  We tried a notebook system but the classroom teachers wouldn’t fill it out or they forgot to bring it.      In todays climate it is so important to know exactly who is in your classroom at any given time due to security issues.   How do you do this at your school?  Do you take roll every time a class comes?

      Cindy

    • The Ericksons
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 6 10:41 AM

        Our MS Art Teacher is leaving to teach in China so we have an immediate opening for a MS Art Teacher.   This position also teaches overflow HS Art Classes coordinated with the curriculum of the HS teacher.    Our school is a private Christian school grades P3 – 12th grade with approximately 1000 students.   We are located in an urban environment in Tulsa, OK.     Small classes, very good supply budgets and cooperative, supportive parents make our teaching environment pleasant.    The 3 Art Teachers – myself (P3 – 5th grade), the MS position described above, and the HS teacher all work together and support a cohesive program for the entire school.   We attend frequent professional development opportunities locally, statewide and nationally with the support of our school.

        Please email me directly if you are  interested and I will provide further details.

        Cindy Erickson   cerickson     at      metroca.com

      • MaryAnn F. Kohl
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6 11:31 AM
          If anyone wants to take advantage of this, chapter six of my book, First ARt for Toddlers and Twos, is available in a free download. It's the chapter tha gives directions for adults to make cool stuff for kids to use for art, like a pizza box easel and a ziplock art baggie book to save art. Great ideas and fun for the kids.

          This is from a book I wrote and the publisher is sharing a chapter.

          Go here to get the free download: http://www.brightring.com/first_art.html
          MaryAnn F. Kohl

        • kayashkwa@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9 4:34 AM

            Yes, I always take attendance when the students come in and leave the space blank next to a student's name until they arrive.  Then if we have a fire drill, at least I know who is in the room at that time.  Unfortunately, in my school, students are pulled from UA for reading and specials, so we have students coming and going and it's difficult to keep track sometimes.
          • Ken
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 10 12:00 AM
              I always took attendance. I had a seating chart for each class because I would never remember names and a seating chart helps with classroom management. I would mark them absent if not present and rely on the classroom teacher to have given the absent student a pass and would assume that if they returned to the art room, they would have a pass in their hands. I never had a roll call, I simply looked at the empty chairs and then matched it with the name on the seating chart.

              Ken