HS Visual Arts Teacher Position Available

  • Terri Frohman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 16, 2013
      Hey All! Below is a job posting for a second art teacher at my school! Feel free to go through the website below or email your resume and cover letter directly! Hiring is happening ASAP! (P.S. I'm so excited that my department is expanding!!)
      Job Posting
      Position Information
      Job Position:
      High School Art Teacher
      Subject:
      Art
      City:
      Newark, NJ
      Grade:
      9; 10; 11; 12

      Type:
      Instructional
      Contact:

      Salary:

      Email:
      Min Years Experience Required:
      2
      Start Date:
      7/1/2013
      Degree Required:
      Bachelors
      Certification Required:
      Yes
      Position Description
      We’re looking for a high school Visual Arts Teacher for the 2013-14 school year! We’re adding to our amazing Newark Collegiate Academy staff, our network’s high school and need awesome teachers to help put our students on the path to college.
      Why join TEAM? Great question! We’re really passionate about kids, fun and improvement. To find out more about why great teachers join TEAM Schools, visit our website here.
      Why else? Working at a growing school is a lot of fun, which we think is super important!
      Responsibilities
      Being part of our team gives you lots of opportunities to grow, but with great power also comes great responsibility. Here are some of them:
      ·          Perform daily teaching tasks like teaching, grading, monitoring lunch, and any of the other things that make you awesome at your job.
      ·          Be a good TEAMmate – work closely with other school staff to create and reinforce a firm foundation for all classes.
      ·          Provide/Add/build/design Art Curriculum
      ·          Collaborate on an end of the year visual and performing arts showcase
      ·          Help with diagnostic and progress monitoring testing across the school
      ·          Update student performance trackers and use data to help guide you plans
      ·          Communicate consistently with families about student progress
      ·          Be an advocate for the arts in and around the community of NCA.
      Must Haves
      · A desire to have fun everyday!
      · A minimum of two years teaching, preferably in an urban or low-income setting
      · A track record of success and planning in the classroom, with data that you can explain
      ·    Provide and foster a safe learning environment that pushes students to take creative risks and problem solve.
      · Provide a variety of learning experiences so that students demonstrate skills and concepts learned through exhibits, trips to museums and cultural institutions, critiques, portfolios, and a variety of communication mediums.
      ·    Plan and implement instruction to ensure that all students meet and exceed the State Core Curriculum Content Standards in the five broad categories of the visual and performing arts:
      1.      Developing aesthetic awareness.
      2.      Creating visual art.
      3.      Demonstrating critical, analytical, judgmental, and evaluative skills.
      4.      Understanding the historical, social, and cultural context of artistic accomplishments.
      5.      Using skills to design space, sound and events.
      ·    Implement differentiated arts education that meet the needs of various learning styles with the objective of developing the independent artist (learner).
      ·    Knowledge of principles and elements of design.
      ·    Experience working with a variety of materials.
      · A collaborative attitude towards teaching, learning and contributing to the visual and performing arts department.
      · The ability to be flexible in a growing school environment where things change all the time
      Compensation
      In addition to a competitive salary, TEAM Charter Schools offers a full benefits plan, a subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, a school laptop as well as travel benefits for TEAMmates coming from the New York City area.
      About TEAM Schools
      TEAM Charter Schools is a network of high-performing urban schools in Newark, NJ. We founded TEAM Academy in 2002, and have opened four additional schools since (Rise Academy, Newark Collegiate Academy, SPARK Academy, and THRIVE Academy) and will continue to grow until we have ten schools across the city of Newark. For more information about us, our values, and what it’s like to be here, check out our website at www.teamschools.org.
      The Organization
      Newark Collegiate Academy, a KIPP school
      909 Broad St
      Newark, NJ 07102
      Type of School:
      High
      Website:
      Grades Taught:
      9; 10; 11; 12
      School Phone:
      973-624-1622
      Year Established:
      2007
      School Fax:
      973-624-2694

      Link: http://kippcareers.force.com/JobDetail?id=a0Xd0000000KId5
    • Maedeh Farokhnia
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
        Hi everyone! I am an art teacher with BA degree, minor in Textile
        design, and 7 years experience as an art teacher in an international
        German school 1 to 12 graders. Can any one tell me how to get a "Art
        Teaching Certificate, and what is needed for this certificate? I mean,
        do I need to study for few years, do I need to take an exam.... or
        what? Can I take the course via internet? Is there any program in
        London?
        I would appreciate any advice coming my way!
        Best wishes for all,
        Maedeh

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
          It depends on the state in which you want to be certified in. Each state has different requirements - although they are usually similar. I would pick the state and/or country you want to be certified and then research that state. In the U.S., the universities can usually tell you what is needed. Visit the state department of education for each state, also (http://www2.ed.gov/about/contacts/state/index.html). In your case, since you already teach, I assume you have a teaching degree in Germany. Most universities in the U.S. would accept those courses as credit and have you take any courses that you have missing. I live in Indiana and when I got my certification in Illinois, I had to take two extra classes - Illinois history, and another school budget course. After those two courses and I passed their exam, I got my certificate. You can find a fairly comprehensive list of schools on http://www.incredibleart.org/artroom/colleges/colleges.html. There is also a list of international art schools there.

          Good luck!

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Maedeh Farokhnia <maedehfe127@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Compensation
          > > In addition to a competitive salary, TEAM Charter Schools offers a full
          > > benefits plan, a subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, a school laptop
          > > as well as travel benefits for TEAMmates coming from the New York City
          > > area.
          > > About TEAM Schools
          > > TEAM Charter Schools is a network of high-performing urban schools in
          > > Newark, NJ. We founded TEAM Academy in 2002, and have opened four
          > > additional schools since (Rise Academy, Newark Collegiate Academy, SPARK
          > > Academy, and THRIVE Academy) and will continue to grow until we have ten
          > > schools across the city of Newark. For more information about us, our
          > > values, and what it's like to be here, check out our website at
          > > www.teamschools.org.
          > > The Organization
          > > Newark Collegiate Academy, a KIPP school

        • catyo55
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
            Hi Maedeh,
            I would try asking over at the International School Teacher Ning (http://theinternationalschoolteacher.ning.com/) There are some states that only require a test to get certified, but I'm not sure which test it is (maybe the Praxis?) or whether you have to fly to the States to take it. Someone on the IST Ning would likely know more.

            I would actually say that you could get certified in any state and then apply for a reciprocal license for a particular state if you are planning to move to the US. If you pick a state that only requires a test (like I mentioned earlier), you give yourself a cushion of extra time to deal with taking classes, etc. for states that have more rigorous license requirements. Once you are certified in one state, you will likely be able to get a one year reciprocal license in any state. (Ken, were you able to teach on a reciprocal license in Illinois while you took those two classes?--That's what I was able to do when I moved from Wisconsin to Indiana). If you just need a US teaching license for international school purposes, it doesn't matter which state you get certified in.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
              I tried out the link I provided and see that Yahoo included the period in the URL so it won't work. Here again is the URL to the art schools around the world:

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
                Thank you Ken, this site is very helpful!
                Best regards,
                Maedeh

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
                  "Ken, were you able to teach on a reciprocal license in Illinois while you took those two classes?-- That's what I was able to do when I moved from Wisconsin to Indiana."

                  I was an administrator in Indiana while I got my certification, so I didn't need a reciprocal license. I wanted to open up my possibilities by getting certification in another state. As it happened, I was able to get a job shortly in Illinois shortly after I got that certification.

                  Ken

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "catyo55" <cjoneal5@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Maedeh,
                  > I would try asking over at the International School Teacher Ning (http://theinternationalschoolteacher.ning.com/) There are some states that only require a test to get certified, but I'm not sure which test it is (maybe the Praxis?) or whether you have to fly to the States to take it. Someone on the IST Ning would likely know more.
                  >
                  > I would actually say that you could get certified in any state and then apply for a reciprocal license for a particular state if you are planning to move to the US. If you pick a state that only requires a test (like I mentioned earlier), you give yourself a cushion of extra time to deal with taking classes, etc. for states that have more rigorous license requirements. Once you are certified in one state, you will likely be able to get a one year reciprocal license in any state. (Ken, were you able to teach on a reciprocal license in Illinois while you took those two classes?--That's what I was able to do when I moved from Wisconsin to Indiana). If you just need a US teaching license for international school purposes, it doesn't matter which state you get certified in.
                • The Ericksons
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4 7:46 AM

                    Question for the group:  How do you at your school know who is absent or missing when a classroom group comes to you for Art?    We are having a problem at our school with classes showing up and Suzie is at the nurse and Tommy took the lunch buckets and etc, etc   or we have classroom teachers showing up with 20 students and they are supposed to have 22 and the teacher never told me where those 2 kiddoes are…..  We tried a notebook system but the classroom teachers wouldn’t fill it out or they forgot to bring it.      In todays climate it is so important to know exactly who is in your classroom at any given time due to security issues.   How do you do this at your school?  Do you take roll every time a class comes?

                    Cindy

                  • The Ericksons
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6 10:41 AM

                      Our MS Art Teacher is leaving to teach in China so we have an immediate opening for a MS Art Teacher.   This position also teaches overflow HS Art Classes coordinated with the curriculum of the HS teacher.    Our school is a private Christian school grades P3 – 12th grade with approximately 1000 students.   We are located in an urban environment in Tulsa, OK.     Small classes, very good supply budgets and cooperative, supportive parents make our teaching environment pleasant.    The 3 Art Teachers – myself (P3 – 5th grade), the MS position described above, and the HS teacher all work together and support a cohesive program for the entire school.   We attend frequent professional development opportunities locally, statewide and nationally with the support of our school.

                      Please email me directly if you are  interested and I will provide further details.

                      Cindy Erickson   cerickson     at      metroca.com

                    • MaryAnn F. Kohl
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6 11:31 AM
                        If anyone wants to take advantage of this, chapter six of my book, First ARt for Toddlers and Twos, is available in a free download. It's the chapter tha gives directions for adults to make cool stuff for kids to use for art, like a pizza box easel and a ziplock art baggie book to save art. Great ideas and fun for the kids.

                        This is from a book I wrote and the publisher is sharing a chapter.

                        Go here to get the free download: http://www.brightring.com/first_art.html
                        MaryAnn F. Kohl

                      • kayashkwa@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 9 4:34 AM

                          Yes, I always take attendance when the students come in and leave the space blank next to a student's name until they arrive.  Then if we have a fire drill, at least I know who is in the room at that time.  Unfortunately, in my school, students are pulled from UA for reading and specials, so we have students coming and going and it's difficult to keep track sometimes.
                        • Ken
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 10 12:00 AM
                            I always took attendance. I had a seating chart for each class because I would never remember names and a seating chart helps with classroom management. I would mark them absent if not present and rely on the classroom teacher to have given the absent student a pass and would assume that if they returned to the art room, they would have a pass in their hands. I never had a roll call, I simply looked at the empty chairs and then matched it with the name on the seating chart.

                            Ken