Re: Digital Portfolios suggestions

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2013
      I'd still love suggestions and samples, but I did find this in my search last night- 15 free online portfolio hosting sites- and the PortfolioBox looks super promising.

      http://designinstruct.com/roundups/free-online-portfolio/

      I started one-
      http://bbergenstock.portfoliobox.me/plethora-of-works
      I'm just playing around with it to test versatility of the site, user friendliness, and cost. Probably the best part is that it limits you to 50 images for free, but not data size :), which I reached in the blink of an eye on another site since my camera is a 13 mp.
      It also highlighted how few of my pieces I have images of and how bad most of the pictures of my art are! LOL. Nothing like this kind of event to wake me up to a realization like that.
      Regards,
      Brandy

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

      > I am trying to explore Digital portfolios for next year as an addition and further technology connection to our art classes. We are currently on Artsonia.com, which I do really like (especially for it's teacher lesson site sharing :), but it has a very junior feeling. While my elementary kids tell me their grandparents & friends see their work all the time, my teens tell me they do not go on it, view their work much, or get others to visit because it seems so childish to them.
      > Does anyone have a host they really like? Obviously free would be best, but we're willing to pay a one time fee per student. The one thing I know I don't want is a fee per year. I often only have students for year or two in their teens, but even though I want them to have access, I am not willing to take future supply budgets for past students who may or may not need their art page, so the per student, per year portfolio is not what I'm looking for. I know one or two of my students have expressed a strong desire to go into the fine arts, and I know these digital portfolios will play a larger and larger part of college acceptance.
      > Examples of digital student portfolios would be great!
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Brandy

    • catyo55
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2013
        My students create individual websites using weebly.com. The platform is free and is clear enough that the kids are quick to understand how to add content. I take one or two classes at the beginning of the year to show them how it works and let them get set up. Then they can add to it independently throughout the rest of the year. I like that the kids who continue to take art can simply keep adding to the same website as they leave middle school and progress through high school. My thinking is that eventually, those who want to go to art school, will have several years worth of work on their website and can share the link with colleges.
        I take pictures of all their work and put them in a DropBox folder that I have invited all the students to share with me. Then, at the end of each unit, we take a half of a block period to upload pictures and reflect on the project they just completed.
        Here are a few examples:
        http://soheesgalleryopening.weebly.com/index.html
        http://stephaniesartportfolio.weebly.com/index.html