Re: mid city artists in D.C. (hirshorn museum)

  • Yvette
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2013
      Cindy, glad it was a helpful tip. And I have one more to toss your way...

      when in D.C. - you have to check out the Hirshhorn Museum - it was a highlight of our museum tours. The building itself is a piece of art (hollowed cylinder raised on 4 piers) and it is noted for the sculpture garden - but we loved the inside tour - it was an "experience"

      They have this huge 60's room with cots on the floor, a light show and music playing - they have special small rooms with monochromatic lights - where you put on shoe covers to enter - you walk through an area that has strips of blue plastic hanging - and get lost in a type of maze like jungle of this plastic. There is also an indoor painting gallery and sculpture inside the museum as well. So add this to your list of places to go (if it is not on it already). :)

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirshhorn_Museum_and_Sculpture_Garden

      http://www.hirshhorn.si.edu/collection/home/#collection=doug-aitken-song1-behind-the-scenes