Art News: Dustheads sells for 48.8 million

  • Yvette
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2013
      Just FYI:

      It seems that every year that I teach art, there is always another record breaking sale on some piece of art! Sometimes I will incorporate the news into a couple art classes - or at least hang a sign to share the news -

      and well, last week at Christies, a few paintings set new records! A Pollock (number 19, 1948) sold for 58.4 million and Lichtenstein's 1963 take on Picasso's painting of "Woman With Flowered Hat" sold for 56.1 millions.

      But the big surprise of the auction ( I guess) was the sale of the mixed media painting called Dustheads, painted by the former graffiti artist Jean-Michel Basquiat (zhahn mee-SHEHL- BAH' skee-aht)
      which sold for 48.8 million dollars!!!
      http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-04-11/news/38463465_1_jean-michel-basquiat-post-war-contemporary-art-painting

      A few Details about Basquiat, the artist:

      ~Jean-Michel Basquiat only lived for 28 years (1960-1988) – he tragically died of drug overdose! (and ironically, dustheads is supposed to be two doped up persons)
      more here: http://www.mashpedia.com/Jean-Michel_Basquiat
      ~He was from New York (Brooklyn) and in 1976 beagn spry painting graffiti art all around lower Manhattan, NY (with an artist named Diaz) and began using the name SAMO.

      ~The artist also dabbled in performing some hip-hop songs, where his art dazzled as an album cover -
      ~The artists also worked with Andy Warhol for a few years in the early 1980's – and they became close friends as they made a series of work togehther. A famous piece Warhol and Basquiat made together is of the Olympic Rings (painted in 1985) and was an outpouring of the LA summer games in 1984.

      blog post can be found here:
      http://time4arttt.blogspot.com