your ideas appreciated

  • CK
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2013
      Hello group.
      I am teaching a group of kinders on Wednesday and I would appreciate your input. I am designing an art lesson around life cycle of a chicken. My tired end-of-year brain cannot seem to think out-of-the-box on this one for a creative art activity.
    • Yvette
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2013
        Hi - here are some ideas for the life cycle of a chick....

        1. For a drawing activity - I would pre-fold an 11 x 14 piece of paper in half and then again and again - so it makes eight squares. Then each student uses this to log in the steps of the life cycle. I would also have separate sheets of paper for kids to practice making the oval shape of an egg - because many will struggle with the egg shape.

        anyhow, this folded 11 x 14 life cycle sheet can then be painted or colored in. I have used this type of grid for other lessons (i.e. EOA or lessons on consumers/producers) and students end up with a nice science resource that is an art keepsake too.

        so anyhow, on the sheet - loosely plan which sequence drawing will go in each square ahead of time. For the chick box, I would have little dishes of white and yellow paint - and I would encourage the kids to show value in their chicks - and use the white to tint the yellow and make a few different yellows in their little chicks. I suggest this because I recently have started teaching tinting to younger grades because they get it! and because it really becomes a skill that students build on each year - also - it makes the paintings just look that much better - oh, and you get a feel for the creative style of the child by how light or how heavy the yellows may end up being.

        2. Make a mini book where the students can illustrate the life cycle of the chick stages.... maybe have a few lift-the-flap pictures - and maybe use egg based tempera for some painting (wash hands carefully when done)

        3. Use popsicle sticks and each student gets four.
        A. Then they glue on a picture (or some misc. crafty stuff) to show stages. This becomes a take home tool where they can go home and teach the stages to mom/dad.

        B. Take 4 popsicle sticks and on one side paint each life cycle stage. the other side they add a nice deign. Then the 4 sticks can be used as game. Throw the sticks on the air - and they get 25 points for each life cycle stage that shows. Students can play in partners and can get up to 100 points for each toss. What I like about this little drawing craft - students can toss and play together without it being super competitive - it is the luck of the drop - and students can play until the first person reaches 500 points. It also ties in math where students count by 25 points ( know that four 25's make up 100, and have to keep track as they go).

        4. Make a chicken relief with glue and yarn. Lightly draw a chicken with the class. Have students make three drawings and then pick their fav to use for their main project. And for kinders, it may even help to have a template for them to trace - as an option for those that are not happy with their drawing that day - and tracing templates provide some nice fine motor skills. I also take a minute (usually) to talk to the kids about the value of tracing, but how the value of free drawing too - and how both have a time and place... etc. even young students can begin to chew on this concept - and hopefully there will be a safe place where they can draw and practice to get a version they like.

        Then use glue and yarn to make the outline of a chicken, and one option is to cover it with foil to give the raised relief look - and then add a color wash to the foil.
        Or another option is to make the glue and yarn outline and then have the students use pieces of paper to fill in different sections. Or paint it in.... If you have any extra feathers, maybe the students can add those - or add in just one.

        Side note - a long time ago I made a small chart and glued on different type of bird feathers and it has been a nice resource for all grades Kids love to see (and TOUCH!!) them - and even if you only have a couple to demo - it can also help with drawing if they can see the texture and feel the difference between down, flight, etc.
        http://www.kidwings.com/bodyparts/feathers/types/

        5. Check out pintrest for ideas: http://pinterest.com/thuffy4/chicken-life-cycle/
        I found a cool weaving lesson that looked really cool. Or the typical 4 stage one - every student gets a large egg shaped piece of construction paper - and then they draw eggs, hatching, chicks, adult....

        http://www.poultryhub.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Activity-3-Life-Cycles.pdf

        6. For story time,
        A. you could mention the folktale chicken little story - or refer to another book. One author idea....
        B. Read Egg Poems, compiled by John Foster.

        C. Mary Jane Auch has a series of children's books with some nice pictures of chickens/ chicks - like one is called Chickerella - or the Plot Chickens, Souperchicken, and Peeping Beauty - some are very "punny" (and even if you can only do a brief "book talk" - this would be worth your time and then the students can go and get the book later on for themselves - I have heard more and more about the benefit of mini book talks with the younger grades - and have tried to include a few more in my teaching - it gets the kids excited and peeks curiosity - and leads them to explore books more!)

        7. Spend some time mentioning the names of baby birds! In general, they are called chicks or hatchlings, but some have special names and Kinders may get a kick out of hearing the names!! and maybe you could draw a funny pic to go with each one....

        For example,
        A baby duck is called a duckling.
        A baby goose is called a gosling (say GOZ-ling)
        A baby eagle is called a fledgling or an eaglet.
        A baby swan is called a cygnet (say SIG-net) or a flapper.
        A baby pigeon is called a squab (say SKWAHB).
        or mention that
        oviparous means any animal that lays eggs from which its young hatch

        8. Cool lesson idea here: http://honeybeebooksblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/life-cycle-of-chicken.html

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "CK" <petitehorselady@...> wrote:

        > Hello group.
        > I am teaching a group of kinders on Wednesday and I would appreciate your input. I am designing an art lesson around life cycle of a chicken. My tired end-of-year brain cannot seem to think out-of-the-box on this one for a creative art activity.

      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2013
          What about a spinning paper wheel, which I just learned trying to find an image to show you is called a Vovelle :)

          https://www.google.com/search?q=Volvelle&client=firefox-a&hs=9al&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=GxuaUZiFNYHM0wH41YHAAg&ved=0CFAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=871

          A very simple one with a paper faster in the center would be good. You could have a paper printed with the life cycles you hope to connect the art project to, get them to cut them out and glue them over the life cycle, and then I would have them draw the life the cycles on the paper before adding the wheel on top. That way they would only see one section of the cycle at a time.
          I LOVE pop-ups and out of my many "hard lessons learned", this project was always one of the successful ones.
          The last time we did it, we had a picture of the Mona Lisa and the kids made faces on the wheels (so it spun from behind) and her face changed as you spun it. The kids loved it :)

          Another idea is a flip-up. So the kids draw the life cycle of a chicken in the egg on their paper and they have to lift the egg tops to see the development in the egg. Maybe they could write the days of incubation on the egg. Or if you don't have good writers, you could print those for cutting out.
          Regards,
          Brandy