RE: [art_education] mid city artists in D.C.

  • The Ericksons
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19, 2013

      Yvette,

      Thanks for sharing this.   We will be in DC in early June and I plan to check out this area because of your email.   To bad we will miss the timing for the artists show….

      Sincerely,

      Cindy Erickson

      Just FYI:

      For those in the DC area - you can see Arkin's work (and MANY other artists) on display at the mid-city artists show May 18-19th, 2013

      http://www.midcityartists.com/home.html

      more info:

      Who are the Mid City Artists? They are a diverse and talented group of professional artists who have come together for the purpose of promoting their art and the Dupont/Logan neighborhoods of Washington DC that they call home.

      Twice each year, the private studios of select member artists are open for visitors. Always the weekend before Memorial Day in the Spring and the weekend after Columbus Day in the Fall. Discover painting, photography, sculpture, glass, mixed media, prints and much more.

      Enjoy a day touring with friends and observing the artistic process. Explore how artists have carved out their working spaces and build your collection from the connections that you make with these artists.

      Where is Mid City? Host to some of the city's hottest restaurants, nightclubs, galleries, interior design shops and fashion boutiques, the Mid City corridor is a thriving destination for the arts in DC. Roughly centered between Dupont Circle on the West and 9th Street NW to the East and stretching from U Street NW to L Street NW to the South, the area crosses a number of neighborhoods including Dupont, Shaw, and Logan . . .

    • Yvette
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2013
        Cindy, glad it was a helpful tip. And I have one more to toss your way...

        when in D.C. - you have to check out the Hirshhorn Museum - it was a highlight of our museum tours. The building itself is a piece of art (hollowed cylinder raised on 4 piers) and it is noted for the sculpture garden - but we loved the inside tour - it was an "experience"

        They have this huge 60's room with cots on the floor, a light show and music playing - they have special small rooms with monochromatic lights - where you put on shoe covers to enter - you walk through an area that has strips of blue plastic hanging - and get lost in a type of maze like jungle of this plastic. There is also an indoor painting gallery and sculpture inside the museum as well. So add this to your list of places to go (if it is not on it already). :)

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirshhorn_Museum_and_Sculpture_Garden

        http://www.hirshhorn.si.edu/collection/home/#collection=doug-aitken-song1-behind-the-scenes