Re: Can a teacher teach AP Art with out Bachelors Degree

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013
      My experience was not this at all- granted, I had flexibility in getting my class on the schedule and then just worked towards approval. We let students/parent know that "the class was seeking approval" and there was a possibility that the class could be downgraded to "Honors", which I thought is a really smart way of going about it and speed up the scheduling process by giving us room and flexibility. Honors is still worth a weighted grade (.5 vs. 1), AND students who want can still take the test at the end of the year so they can still get AP credit for college even if class grade isn't weighted as heavily. My dd self-studied for an AP and took without being enrolled in any formal class, so being in a class is not a requirement for the test.
      But my approval only took like 3 months, between me writing it and getitng it approved. Again, I say I had trouble with my AP art submission, but my psychology submission went very fast, and our AP government teacher had not problems either. The biggest hold up seems to be the schedule, because it will not be your submission turn around time to college board.
      Just my experience,
      Brandy